How can we improve Discord?

Grace Period for Deleted Channel Recovery

A channel was recently deleted accidentally by a staff member with Manage Channels permission. Because of this, we lost all chat history in the almost-a-year-old channel.

After reaching out to Discord support, I was told that this delete is a true delete, and data is unrecoverable.

Because of this, I believe there should be a grace period for recovery of deleted text channels. When a channel is deleted, it should be hidden from the channel navigation and un-interactable (like how deletion currently works.)

After this, a section called "Deleted Channels" would be available in the Server Settings. A list of the deleted channels, a time of when "true deletion" occurs, and an option to recover would then be available.

#SaveTheChannels

635 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

TurqmelonTurqmelon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ShentinoShentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This could also deal with people having their admin privileges hijacked by a hacker.

• ShentinoShentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Be more careful who you trust with channel deletion permissions.

That said I still think it's a good idea to have this, just in case the person in question happens to get hacked.

• MrAconiteMrAconite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same thing happened to my server today. A chat that was the original first chat of my server, created on December 5th 2015 and then getting deleted by someone who didn’t even have the proper permissions to manage channels.

I think the proper solution for this is adding a new setting into discord that would be called “Administrator Aproval”. This would mean that any major change to the server would be alerted to any or all of the admins of the server.

That way, big decisions could be managed by the server admins even when someone has permission to make big changes!

• NinjaNinja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

how about a confirmation box where the owner has to say yes to the channel getting deleted?

• YepYep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe you should make it so only the server owner can bring back deleted channels, because it can get annoying if you're trying to delete a channel and someone else keeps on bringing it back.

• JackTJackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really good if one of your mods suddenly turned on you and deleted the server out of spite after an argument. Voted

• Antar Antar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely support SOME kind of way to recover accidental deletions. I'm constantly in paranoia of the General text channel being deleted since it was made possible to delete. History and memories are really important to me.

• RaterixRaterix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Extreme support.
    Useful if you accidentally delete a channel, an admin abuses, etc.
    Having that feature to be a PERMANENT delete is really stupid.

• JacenBoyJacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not sure how you manage to accidentally delete a channel since it makes you confirm and gives you a huge red button, but this would be useful for damage control from a rogue mod or some similar situation.

• CrayCray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be better being able to recover them from the 'new server' section, having the new server, join server or recover server options.

• leasoncreleasoncre commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

there should be something like a 24 hour till deleted, and a week till erased from discord itself
    (at discord headquarters/servers, after 24 hours the channel would no longer exist to discord server admins, after a week, delete the data itself from discord servers. after the 24 hours a discord owner would have to request recovery of the channel)
    PS. NOTIFY ADMINS OF PENDING DELETION.
    NEW OPTION: delete channel in # hours:
    "Channel will be deleted in ## hours" pinned msg at top of channel

-these would only apply to chat channels, as voice channels have only name data, and easily re-made

Feedback and Knowledge Base