How can we improve Discord?

One video/screenshare presenter to the entire server

I would like to suggest the function to have ONE presenter broadcasting video/screenshare to the entire server/channel, like a close group livestreaming where viewers can text chat while watching. It is extremely useful for demonstration and education purposes, especially for an art education server like mine.

791 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

ArtgermArtgerm shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JossiwalesJossiwales commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like the idea of broadcasting to an entire channel. Not necessarily the entire server though.

• JyskalJyskal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be incredible! One of my art channels does live redlines, critiques, and paintovers to help people improve, and one of my gaming servers does playthrough streams in order to show people different mechanics; and with it being done through a third party website it means less traffic in the discord. This would fix that hands down.

• CanonicalCanonical commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Exactly, would love to be able to screen share with an entire channel instead of just a group DM!

• owlsomniacowlsomniac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

1000% agree! For art purposes and education a feature like this would be EXTREMELY useful! I imagine it could even be set up in a similar manner to how creating different channels is (where various roles are allowed to do certain things or not in each channel). Having a channel in a server, for example, where only one person or a "Mod" is allowed to screenshare at a time would be SO great!

I really hope this is something that will be considered for development in the future.

• MikeOShayMikeOShay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love some sort of larger-scale screenshare channel. Twitch still has huge latency, and so if I'm talking instantly with friends, they'll have a 10-second delay before they see what I'm seeing.

We also read articles and fanfics together, and it's a lot easier having one person host the text on their screen and highlight/scroll along with the current position.

• CoinLawyer20757CoinLawyer20757 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be good for other useages too. For instance I run game servers and I could create a screen share channel to get suspected hackers to screen share their screens and make my job a load easier for me!

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this. me and a friend are looking to entirely dump most web-meeting and video chat apps for discord. we need a way to make server-wide presentations/classes for education, lectures, workshops and meetings.
    Eagerly waiting for this!

• IceIce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hit the nail on the head here man, we were all thinking it

• Nekkowe!Nekkowe! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

God, yes.

There are so many moments where this would be useful.

Sometimes you just want to show your friends a quick moment of something going on in your game, or show them what you're drawing. But right now, if you're in a group server instead of in a direct call, you're SOL on that front..

• Raul CondeRaul Conde commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Upvote TOTALLY!!!
    Sometimes me and my friends want to show something in the server like strange interactions in game and we make a Gyazo.

• FiddaFidda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's amazing that we finally have the chance to Share our Screen or make Video Chats, but I usually talk trough channels and this would be amazing if you enable this feature there.

• AlifloAliflo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would require fairly drastic changes to the discord server interface, but I think screensharing and video calling would be especially useful on Discord in servers.

One of the things I loved about discord when I switched from Skype was that there were not a million group calls which everyone used. However, I always liked that you could explain to your friends while you're playing i.e how to install mods on Minecraft or how to edit steam's config files via screenshare. This feature is not available on servers, meaning to explain something you have to start a call with someone.

• Kei ಠ vಠKei ಠ vಠ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! Would be very useful to artists too, to have the ability to only have one person being the streamer while others can watch without joining with their own.

• KosioSenpaiKosioSenpai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It'll be something like the AFK channel thing, but with screen share.
    Special channel for screen share that you can screen share

• SalmonSeasoningSalmonSeasoning commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I kind of agree this would be useful on certain terms. Like, for example, a user would have to request permission to stream to the server (from the server owner or an admin). This would be especially perfect for YouTubers/Twitch Streamers who are live streaming.

• ArtgermArtgerm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Felice: You have an entrepreneurial mind, which I don't have. In fact you don't have to wait for Discord, you can already do that with other live streaming platforms such as private Youtube live streaming. My goal is much simpler, I just want to use the video function on Discord as an education platform to share my knowledge with my art community for FREE. :)

• FeliceFelice commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Won't that just result in people streaming movies and the like to 2500 of their paying "friends"?

• GynGyn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Please Do! I know its too much of a work but it will help alot of people in the future. Much Appreciated if considered.

Feedback and Knowledge Base