How can we improve Discord?

Add a server setting to disallow private messages to users

As a large guild owner, we fairly constantly get people who private message members in our server with "Steam gift code" or other sorts of scams.

Add an option to disallow people from direct messaging other users if their only mutual server is ours. However, friend settings will override this (as it makes sense). This will help in large servers that try to keep their users safe.

803 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toothless the Dragon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

59 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Wreeper_we [CocaCrown] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Keeping safe. Do you know they can access their profile, and direct message from there?
    They can also send friend requests and then advertise.
    It's pure shit.

• Hexstream commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, definitely implement this as a permission. Maybe called "Direct Message Members".

• Ghost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea, but only if it was also enabled with a permission.

• AdolfNippler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be best as a permission, so you can prevent people from joining your server for the sole purpose to spam in DMs.

• Ujo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea then to DM they would have to friend. I like this idea!

• Hexstream commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

'That said, a possible server setting that says "this server does not count as a mutual server for the purposes of DM contact" would be much better.'

I thought that was what was proposed all along, yeah...

• Shentino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a good idea.

It would require interference in the API that still allows users to talk to each other outside the server.

A server has no direct jurisdiction over what people say to each other in DM. Besides that, it would interfere if other servers wanted to make conflicting rules about this sort of thing.

The place to regulate DM is in DM space, among users themselves and possible involvement by support.

That said, a possible server setting that says "this server does not count as a mutual server for the purposes of DM contact" would be much better.

• Ancient Entity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Guilds dont have rights over controlling peoples PMs the best you can do is putting a public service announcement in rules. Plus players can already make it so you have to be friends to PM and being on the same server doesnt count. So just encourage that.

• ArenaSnow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see why this wouldn't be reasonable if it was something that wasn't automatically turned on and simply an option if an owner wants to do it. If an owner doesn't feel obligated to use it, they aren't - such security is up to the people on the server. They can set their own messages to disallow scamming messages. That said, if an owner wants to use this, I'd say let them have it.

• TZane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People should set their friend settings to the person has to add them to send them a message. It's not your fault people are getting scammed on your server and your not responsible for it either. I would recommend you make an announcement and give people a safety tip on scamming and tell them not to believe every person who messages them. This idea seems like an excuse for people who are too lazy to change their own friend settings and wants to hold discord admins of the server responsible.

• Metalsand commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes to fixing this problem, but no to this solution. While this is an important problem, I feel like there are far better ways to implement it. Of course, you could workaround this by making it invite only but disallowing private messages seems excessive.

• Xer0_Puls3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be an option to add a message to the top of it: Example server has this disabled due to (custom message)

• Cinder commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"invades privacy rights"

How the f*** does this invade privacy rights? Friend a person if you want to DM them.
    I personally support this, some servers have a large amount of users, this would be an option, if you don't like it, disable it in your server lol.

• Jyskal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like this is a bad workaround.

What it means to me, as a user, is that if my server decides they can choose whether or not I'd be able to DM server members to keep off-topic conversations out of chat. That just inconveniences me, and it has nothing to do with spam filters. Just let it stay a user-based setting. It's not on the server owners that way, it's on the members.

• primitives commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want DM in the same way I detest Legacy Texting.

I have disabled Legacy Texting (sms) on my android phone

• Yep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find this a bad idea as this takes away a user's rights and intrude upon one's privacy. User's can already choose to do this if they want to for themselves. If someone gets scammed, then it's their fault and not anyone else's. The most you can do is warn everyone about scams and hope for the best.

• hiccups commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope. Under "Privacy": Disable "Allow direct messages from server members". Solved.
    Still possible to mention people and DMs between friends are still enabled.

No need to cut off private messaging rights.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base