How can we improve Discord?

Add a server setting to disallow private messages to users

As a large guild owner, we fairly constantly get people who private message members in our server with "Steam gift code" or other sorts of scams.

Add an option to disallow people from direct messaging other users if their only mutual server is ours. However, friend settings will override this (as it makes sense). This will help in large servers that try to keep their users safe.

1,401 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toothless the Dragon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

74 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • plzlol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So many vote and not a single f***** reply from the staff/moderators...
    This is a huge privacy issue. This setting is a must and so is granular filtering per role or per age in the server (add an option to set rule to prevent DM for member that joined less than xx days or hours ago).

• simonizor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this not a thing? People are using self bots like crazy to join servers and DM invite links. Please fix this and pay more attention to moderation needs in Discord!

• Xondal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't care how big your john is, no one should be able to cross the line between public and private messaging in the ream of administration. I can already forsee discord falling into the firepit because so many popular servers will have this hypothetical option set and thus prevent users from interacting with eachother at a private level. If you don't want people to be able to DM you, turn off "allow server members to DM" or whatever the thing is called.

• Kore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You need to amend this to also add rank roles, instead of @everyone. So you can enable private messages only by users of a specifc rank or higher. This will help combat alot of the DM spam by invite spam bots.

• peterix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really is as easy as:
    * Add a variable that says 'server counts as a common server for user DMs', per server.
    * Ask about it when creating the server.
    * Default it to 'Yes' to preserve existing settings.

• Farzaneelin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wait, so... If I am a member of your server you should be able to dictate whether or not I get to DM others who are in the same server as I (even though 95% of the time a member-member DM isn't abusive)? Who is to say that I don't share another server with someone who is also in your server? Then how can I talk to them if you prevent private communications?

I can already predict people getting frustrated with being unable to send a quick message or two to non-friends because of this feature. Server owners should NOT have the ability to influence private communications whatsoever. They should ONLY be in control of the server by which they created.

If people are being bothersome, they can be reported to the admins of the relevant server or even be blocked by the affected individual. There's even an option for INDIVIDUALS to allow/disallow DMs from non-friends.

• SirTapTap commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally agreed. One of the most rampant and insidious forms of trolling we've had is people joining to send creepy or offensive DMs to people and the mods won't even know until someone tells us. Would love to have this by role; people who are okay can get it, but rando people who join and aren't given a role shouldn't be able to do this.

(and no, to people saying it already exists, it does not. There is a confusing as heck setting in the same place as server settings but it's a personal setting that does not affect the server.)

• Rendezvous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is currently available serverwide, it would be better to allow/prevent DMs from originating from users based on their role. No I don't want a random member that joined sending scam DMs to other users on my server, but at the time I absolutely want senior members or admins to be able to message users.

• unimagine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally though that the setting to ‘allow users to send messages’ was referring to private messages when I first created my server, and was really bummed to find out that was not the case. My server is for my town so keeping creeping at bay is my top priority, this includes limiting people being able to message anyone.

• pydlv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or, even better, just have an option that sets the default "allow direct messages from server members" to off. That way, users who still want to receive direct messages are able to.

• Ghost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support this idea, but only if it was also enabled with a permission.

• AdolfNippler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be best as a permission, so you can prevent people from joining your server for the sole purpose to spam in DMs.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base