How can we improve Discord?

Add a server setting to disallow private messages to users

As a large guild owner, we fairly constantly get people who private message members in our server with "Steam gift code" or other sorts of scams.

Add an option to disallow people from direct messaging other users if their only mutual server is ours. However, friend settings will override this (as it makes sense). This will help in large servers that try to keep their users safe.

439 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toothless the DragonToothless the Dragon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

46 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • JyskalJyskal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like this is a bad workaround.

What it means to me, as a user, is that if my server decides they can choose whether or not I'd be able to DM server members to keep off-topic conversations out of chat. That just inconveniences me, and it has nothing to do with spam filters. Just let it stay a user-based setting. It's not on the server owners that way, it's on the members.

• primitivesprimitives commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not want DM in the same way I detest Legacy Texting.

I have disabled Legacy Texting (sms) on my android phone

• YepYep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find this a bad idea as this takes away a user's rights and intrude upon one's privacy. User's can already choose to do this if they want to for themselves. If someone gets scammed, then it's their fault and not anyone else's. The most you can do is warn everyone about scams and hope for the best.

• hiccupshiccups commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nope. Under "Privacy": Disable "Allow direct messages from server members". Solved.
    Still possible to mention people and DMs between friends are still enabled.

No need to cut off private messaging rights.

• JackTJackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could also just set yourself to only allow messages from friends. This could easily be abused, and prevent people from reporting to admins.

• EnzoMioulkEnzoMioulk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with JacenBoy. So maybe make it a "default setting", like notification settings.

• JacenBoyJacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this sounds good in theory, I don't like it in practice. There are times where DMing people is important, and it shouldn't be up to a server owner to take that away from the members.

• Death Kitten ☣Death Kitten ☣ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with the suggestion for this to be a server default setting that users can opt out of if they choose to open up messages (though if their personal default is no pm, a server with pm left on shouldn't override that). I'll toss my vote on this idea in hopes that this will be considered as part of it.

• SeaKingDarrienSeaKingDarrien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord is by far the better app in my opinion and this feature would help drive many from slack to Discord.

• SynapseSynapse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a feature that is sorely needed. Where Slack is failing it's community vs scammers, you could extend and gain traction.

• hamletmachinehamletmachine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord could scoop so many innovative tech communities from Slack overnight with this feature.

• MicahMicah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe just providing servers a way to set the default user privacy setting for that server would be enough. That way servers plagued by scams can simply set the default for new users to be "don't allow DMs from non-friends on this server." Anyone who manually goes and re-enables it for the server is accepting responsibility. I suspect this will reduce the success rate of the scams to the point where they won't be worth the time anymore, since you could only target people who went in and turned that setting back on.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base