How can we improve Discord?

Vacation Mode (Out of Office)

Even though it may be terrifying. There are times when we will not have access to Discord or any internet to begin with. Usually this has to do with being on vacation, moving, or something else.

Despite telling everyone about your plans to go to Wumpton Island, inevitably people will not get the message or forget.

This mode fixes this by automatically replying to DM's and mentions with a prewritten message. Your status also changes "On break" with a light blue color, this status is treated like any offline user.

2,384 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Sans shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nutchapol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

From Katzu Niku comment, Maybe in the style of Clyde's messages after sending dms to a person who blocked you or trying to send a custom emoji in another server w/o nitro

• Katzu Niku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Drop all the "vacation/out of office" nonsense and JUST ADD AN AUTO-REPLY TO DMs WHEN "BUSY" FEATURE, PLEASE.

• Cyg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is potentially a security issue since people in the server will know you are not at home or work. People have used vacation posts on Facebook to break into homes and such.

As such, it should at the very least be specific to each server and come with a warning. :)

• ImTired commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That sounds like a nifty idea. It would make Discord itself seem a lot more in-depth as well.

• jrmswell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And maybe when people @ you a clyde could appear and just say something along the lines of:

"So and so can't respond at the moment because..."

Which would be very nice

• Mazzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I always get people upset with me not responding when I’m busy for a week or something. Love this idea.

• FatSpidy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly it sounds to me more like you want an auto-response to DMs option. Which would be cool. But the 'out of office' aspect is already taken care of.

• Sans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, thank you all for your support over the months! I feel like it's time to go into further detail about this feature and clear up some issues I found after re-reading this 3.5 months later.

- First off, I put "Out of Office" in the title because the idea comes from the "Out of Office" status on Microsoft Outlook and Lync. While my idea takes a lot of features from it, it isn't supposed to be a replica.

- This status does not only mean you are unable to use Discord, you could just not have access to a strong computer or decent internet while you are away from home/moving.

-The automated message is purely optional and can be pre-written by the user. To be realistic it should only be sent once per user unless the message is changed.

-You will not appear on the "Online" list on a server unless you are actually in the app.

- The status color does not have to be light blue. I think I'll leave that job for the Dev's to choose, but feel free to leave them suggestions here.

TL;DR Here's something that makes the idea more clear.

• Raccoon in the Snow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea honestly. I feel like the status colors are quite effective in what they do. Green meaning you're available to talk, Yellow meaning you might be away or busy, and Red meaning don't bother or you'll have to wait a while to get a reply. Purple indicates someone is streaming (usually on Twitch) so the light blue color would act as a similar function to the purple status with the term (On Break) shown. That's how I view it.

• Leafeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setting yourself to Away or Busy does not show up when you're also offline. This would let users leave "I'm away" messages for people wondering where they are.

Got someone on your friends list who you haven't seen online in a few days? Maybe they quit discord. Maybe they lost power. Maybe they're just moving, though! You'd never know.
    This "Vacation Mode" would give exactly what you need to know about a user. Said friend who hasn't been online in a few days? Send him a messaging. It could auto-reply saying that he's just switching internet providers and would be gone for a week at most.

Of course, don't have the message itself deleted - the message that was sent to the vacation'd user, I mean. It's still nice to be able to receive all of the messages sent to me when I come back.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IMO, "Busy" and "Away" do the job for this - so maybe you should just change them to use these functions.

• Pur3Bolt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary target group of users here is gamers though. And they're kinda always in-office :P

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base