How can we improve Discord?

Colorblind

I have deuteranopia (red/green) and I can't differentiate the colors in the activity status bubble. Adding a tool tips kind of function where I can hover the mouse over the bubble to see if they are active/away/busy/offline etc would go a long way to those affected by deuteranopia colorblindness determine the activity status of users.

525 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shwing shwingshwing shwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Koops Koops commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you’re using iOS, go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations > Color Filters then turn it on, and select Green/Red filter.

• uhPara - HypeSquaduhPara - HypeSquad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, you can actually do this in the browser version as "Mikki" said:

"I guess for the browser version, you could get a user script (tampermonkey, greasemoney) or an extension that can offer you the color info. Basically, like the color picker tool in devtools (right click > inspect > color picker)"

But in the desktop version, this isn't possible. It would be a good feature for people that are colorblind. You could also install "BetterDiscord" and try to find a plugin that converts colors.

• MikkiMikki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess for the browser version, you could get a userscript (tampermonkey, greasemoney) or an extension that can offer you color info. Basically like the color picker tool in devtools (right click > inspect > colorpicker)

• ElweThorElweThor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

if don't want to struggle with colorblind tools(*) a more simpler solution can be to add an option to choose a different set of "status icons", instead of simply colors. Just an example: https://addons.miranda-ng.org/upload/images/4485_127-1-1337857545-original_icq_icons.png

(*) I'm colorblind too (red/green, blue/violet) and appreciated very much Blizzard's work on that side, but it can be not that easy to add a tool like that.

• kathith1234kathith1234 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding a 'color blind' option in your Discord settings would be great for everyone who's color blind.

Feedback and Knowledge Base