How can we improve Discord?

Colorblind

I have deuteranopia (red/green) and I can't differentiate the colors in the activity status bubble. Adding a tool tips kind of function where I can hover the mouse over the bubble to see if they are active/away/busy/offline etc would go a long way to those affected by deuteranopia colorblindness determine the activity status of users.

5,670 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shwing shwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

129 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • CorvosKK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following up from shwing shwing's post (https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/31411900-colorblind), I have an additional suggestion regarding accessibility in the user list.

It would be great if Discord could add a colorblind mode that changes color-dependent interface components to be more readable to those with various vision impairments. If the online status indicators are different shapes there is less of a dependency on recognizing the colors of the badge itself. This would lessen the need for direct action from the users and keep them from disengaging from the core chat feature of the app.

I've written up a short post with more details and visual examples:
    https://tco-design.tumblr.com/post/170965296080/discords-inaccessible-status-icons-context-its

• Capella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of using shapes as a distinguisher is a good one. So is having alternate color options you can toggle in settings (something like "swap red/green to: and have other options for various types of colorblind.)

• Massunoi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or just a way to turn everything into the appropriate colors so those with color blindness could see.

• Pervert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should make a colorblind feature for those who can't differentiate certain colors like red and green, so having it change to some other colors. A lot of parts in Discord is green so it can make it hard for some people. It would be nice if you had a toggle in the Appearance setting for it.

• Doc_Jones commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, different shapes would make more sense; e.g. red "X" for do not disturb (or put a white bar in the middle of the red dot like the "DO NOT ENTER" sign. Idle/AFK should be a crescent moon symbol, and offline should be only a circular outline instead of a filled circle.

• L3ssH0p3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Theres something unofficially you could use its calld betterdiscord. But your idea could be good

• Elusive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Encoding something as color-only is usually a bad idea from an accessibility point of view. A tooltip is an easy solution, but it would be most useful to have different shapes/textures in addition to the color to make it accessible for people who have total color-blindness. A good example of this are traffic signs/lights. They usually encode their meaning in at least two ways. Signs have distinctive shapes based on their overall meaning in addition to the content (e.g. STOP signs being octagonal, warning signs being diamond-shaped or traffic lights having a fixed order). You could even recognize a STOP sign when it is covered in snow.

• The L Guy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not colorblind, but I hope this gets in, Because of things like what KaiDaCanadian said for example, he said "I have tritanopia. Ever since the roles were updated, I'd usually have trouble telling what they said against the harsh white background. I'd like to see Discord make more of these changes, or at least add a colourblind option in the settings." And I don't know what it'd be like but I'm sure it'd suck if discord was that way forever.

• KaiDaCanadian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tritanopia. Ever since the roles were updated, I'd usually have trouble telling what they said against the harsh white background. I'd like to see Discord make more of these changes, or at least add a colourblind option in the settings.

• Silphaer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also have deuteranopia, and I can confirm, that whilst I can differentiate the activity colours (it's quite mild for me), I have some difficulty with it, and I have extreme difficulty distinguishing some of the default role colours from the grey background. This doesn't happen when they're in a square, in the selection, but once they're in text, the colour is so thin, it just looks vaguely like it's gone darker, and it's hard to see what it actually says.
    (Also, technically, if you can still see colours, it's colour deficiency, not blindness, but I'll stop nitpicking now.)

• JBM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(continuing from previous message) Note I'm not colorblind, but my dad is, which helps me support this idea.

• JBM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great idea, maybe add a colorblind mode. For now, you can install BetterDiscord and someone might make a theme to help colorblind people.

• hankat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi guys, I came to find this thread exactly because of this. I'm also Red/Green colorblind (And working with webdesign/UI) and I've done a quick mockup, without fine tuning the colors too much. Something like this would on small surfaces like the status appearance icons.
    https://imgur.com/HsGSmNB

Ps. let the design team know that they're doing a great job! Nothing wrong with the overall design. There's just this one small area where as someone who's colorblind, struggle to see the status right away. I know on a design point of view it's nice to have a smooth palette and all, but it's an actual issue for 10% of all men (percentage of men with deuteranopia)

Best regards

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base