How can we improve Discord?

Colorblind

I have deuteranopia (red/green) and I can't differentiate the colors in the activity status bubble. Adding a tool tips kind of function where I can hover the mouse over the bubble to see if they are active/away/busy/offline etc would go a long way to those affected by deuteranopia colorblindness determine the activity status of users.

7,828 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shwing shwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminDabbit Prime (Admin, Discord) responded  · 

Hey everyone! Super happy to be able to share some good news with all of you! We have added a Colorblind mode to Discord! It can currently be found under User Settings > Appearance and can be toggled on/off at your discretion.

Not only that but we have even more accessibility features we’re going to be adding in the coming months and we would love your help in testing them! Just join us over at https://discord.gg/discord-testers (read the #rules channel first!) and look for a channel called #a11y-faq to get all the info you need on staying up to date with pre-release accessibility features and help us improve and find bugs!

Also feel free to check out this Help Center article! https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004929972

201 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jarbles05 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not colorblind, but I still feel this would be a big help. Maybe shapes or symbols or even hovering over the status could show if you're active, busy etc.
    I love it!

• jeff from the overwatch team commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this has been all that was needed in my life hope this pettition works out i have the same problem i cant tell when my friends are online or offline i am a mild deutan

• Comic_Sads commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I feel like it might be better to add the option to put symbols over the status bubbles to help differentiate which is which. I'm not colorblind though, so I'm just guessing.

• q8abood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please i struggle with that.

i think they can half visible shape on the status bubble like triangle for busy and square for active.

• EveReDark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I do not personally have colorblindness, but it is prevalent in my family. My father even has Blue Cone Monochromacy and both my sisters are colorblind. This is definitely a feature I support being implemented.

• Oniky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

what another thing that's along the lines of this sort a is when you click on the user there's something that says their active,idle,do not disturb,ofline.

• Rich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What I think could also be useful is to allow users to set the online/offline/busy colors to user-defined colors.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support. I know a few people that are colorblind, and it would help them a lot to have this added.

• ChristosOwen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm colourblind and would find this really beneficial. Adding to this, I would also love it if the name of the colours appeared when I hovered over them when choosing colours for user groups/roles. It's currently a big challenge to try and setup colours effectively since there's nothing that indicates which colours are which!

• theblacki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think a simple option to switch to a "colorblind-mode" would be sufficient, only effect necessary would be to switch the green of online persons with, say, blue. That way you could just look over your friendlist to see whos online without having to hover over each and every one you're currently interested in.

• Magic Shawnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would appreciate greatly if there were a workaround for this. I don't want to disturb people who don't want to be disturbed.

• mon-degreen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like CorvosKK's status indicator shapes idea; I'd probably use that just because it looks cool, with the accessibility as an added bonus. (I'm envisioning an opt-in toggle here, so anyone committed to the circles need not fear change.)

• kat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This wouldn't be THAT difficult to implement and it seems like a thing you should expect from all major services.

• TheVinnyVici commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not colorblind, and I don't know anyone who is colorblind. But this feature should be provided with ANY software ever released. Please do this!

Feedback and Knowledge Base