How can we improve Discord?

Colorblind

I have deuteranopia (red/green) and I can't differentiate the colors in the activity status bubble. Adding a tool tips kind of function where I can hover the mouse over the bubble to see if they are active/away/busy/offline etc would go a long way to those affected by deuteranopia colorblindness determine the activity status of users.

7,828 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shwing shwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminDabbit Prime (Admin, Discord) responded  · 

Hey everyone! Super happy to be able to share some good news with all of you! We have added a Colorblind mode to Discord! It can currently be found under User Settings > Appearance and can be toggled on/off at your discretion.

Not only that but we have even more accessibility features we’re going to be adding in the coming months and we would love your help in testing them! Just join us over at https://discord.gg/discord-testers (read the #rules channel first!) and look for a channel called #a11y-faq to get all the info you need on staying up to date with pre-release accessibility features and help us improve and find bugs!

Also feel free to check out this Help Center article! https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004929972

201 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Adde r2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not colorblind, but I have a friend who is. I know he isn't alone to be colorblind aswell, so hope this makes a difference to everyone who is colorblind (and uses discord) :)

• Jeanette-S-Hall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Am colorblind, too! Not sure what type. We are buying a tan/beige house, but the house appears blue to me! Bought a polo shirt in junior - high that I thought was orange (turned out it was actually purple). My vision problems come from my case of Multiple Sclerosis. Females are just as colorblind as our male counterparts. I do not think it is an inheritable trait with us (am probably way off base).

• ori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is currently no option to toggle a color blind mode on Discord, and there is no way to have the font on the platform easier to read for users with dyslexia. Therefore, add a colour blindness setting, and an option to change the font colour to make it easier to read for users with conditions like dyslexia and colour blindness.

This was a complaint that came up in one of the servers I'm in. A certain member who has dyslexia finds the regular interface difficult to look at. Instead, they use BetterDiscord to change the font and colour. This is against ToS and upon telling them this, they told me the exact reasons why this was: they can't read it properly in the normal font colour. After consulting @Boba Ninja#0001, we decided that it should be suggested on the feedback page, so here it is.

• AWEFUME commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that having an option to customize the Discord interface with colors of your choice would be very helpful for those with color blindness/dyslexia. Even if it’s not fully customizable, there should be a setting where you turn on a mode, such as Dyslexia mode, color blind mode, etc.

• eagerstriker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in the same boat. Can't tell the difference between the online and offline color bubbles cause of my colorblindness. Skype and Steam don't have this issue at all because Steam will just tell you outright in text, and Skype uses symbols (check mark, clock hands, dash, ect.) and both have better color selection for them than Discord. I hope they do something about this cause it seems like it would be a easy fix.

• Dr. Shawtghun Ahms commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am colorblind, and I'm not sure what the colorblind community looks like on discord (buh dum tss) but I have trouble distinguishing activity status bubbles from online and offline, it would be awesome if there was a colorblind mode for the whole system.

• Nutchapol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmm... maybe a dot for online, dash for idle, X for DND and nothing for offline/invis?
    White symbols in the center of the color bubble

• A Bitter Pill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm another person who is colorblind, and I also have problems differentiating the colors in the status bubbles. Would it be at all possible to allow us to choose our own colors for the online/offline/afk status of people? That would help a great deal since everyone would be able to pick the colors that work best for them.

• 💎Fadevaio💎 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even though you can toggle colourblind mode in Ease of Access I think this would be a good feature to add to discord from a user friendly point of view for those who are colourblind who do not know about Ease of Access settings. Also not sure if it works for discord as haven't tried but i would of thought it would work for everything running on the OS. +1

• CorvosKK commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Following up from shwing shwing's post (https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/326712-discord-dream-land/suggestions/31411900-colorblind), I have an additional suggestion regarding accessibility in the user list.

It would be great if Discord could add a colorblind mode that changes color-dependent interface components to be more readable to those with various vision impairments. If the online status indicators are different shapes there is less of a dependency on recognizing the colors of the badge itself. This would lessen the need for direct action from the users and keep them from disengaging from the core chat feature of the app.

I've written up a short post with more details and visual examples:
    https://tco-design.tumblr.com/post/170965296080/discords-inaccessible-status-icons-context-its

• [GP] mDot2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have Tritanopia, and having this feature would be game changing. Please implement this

Feedback and Knowledge Base