How can we improve Discord?

Colorblind

I have deuteranopia (red/green) and I can't differentiate the colors in the activity status bubble. Adding a tool tips kind of function where I can hover the mouse over the bubble to see if they are active/away/busy/offline etc would go a long way to those affected by deuteranopia colorblindness determine the activity status of users.

7,826 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

shwing shwing shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
completed  ·  AdminDabbit Prime (Admin, Discord) responded  · 

Hey everyone! Super happy to be able to share some good news with all of you! We have added a Colorblind mode to Discord! It can currently be found under User Settings > Appearance and can be toggled on/off at your discretion.

Not only that but we have even more accessibility features we’re going to be adding in the coming months and we would love your help in testing them! Just join us over at https://discord.gg/discord-testers (read the #rules channel first!) and look for a channel called #a11y-faq to get all the info you need on staying up to date with pre-release accessibility features and help us improve and find bugs!

Also feel free to check out this Help Center article! https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/360004929972

204 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Opheriaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Many people have various forms of colorblindness, and I think a "colorblind mode" would be much appreciated by many.

A few ideas I had were:

Shapes for online/idle/DND/offline as opposed to colored circles
    [circle, triangle, square, x] or something

An animation for voice activity (like the windows aero circle thing)

Maybe more pronounced icons

Stuff like that, I'm open to learning more about what's convenient for colorblind people; suggestions welcome

• Vee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm partially red-green colour blind, and have issues telling who is offline and who is online. Ironically, f.lux - which alters screen colours to better let one sleep - actually makes it a bit easier, but still almost impossible

Is it possible to use higher contrast colours, or have symbols in the status circles - e.g. Maybe make offline just pure black, yellow have a black dot in the middle, streaming have a red dot in the corner - some set of high contrast simple symbols so as to account for all levels of colour blindness?

• MadMal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a great idea, as without its limiting many people who want to use Discord! +1

• Grimm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a pretty basic feature and I hope that they quickly implement it for your sake. Keep on kicking butt and taking names Tommy. Spaghetti and Meatballs dude. +1

• Tommy (BlindSwordsman) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for all the comments in supporting me no idea if this idea will get the support it needs to actually enter the development stages, answering all the questions I see in the comments, yes Discord is made for gamers, and you don't need good eye sight to play them and enjoy them, and for the people wondering I am already using high contrast black mode on windows and this does not effort the Discord display window.

It seems months down the line after making this thread I'm still struggling to optimize my own discord and have things setup the way I want them, I really don't like to ask people to do all this for me because its a lot of work to set up a server with the certain permissions and that.

• Catitude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been gaming for years & I am severely night blind & vision impaired, I have to use custom font sizing, & UI resize in World of Warcraft as well as other games.
    My vision issues are almost the opposite as I can't see or read any standard text on a dark background or even light to medium colors or thin-line fonts on a light or white background.
    So I need bold black on Paperwhite. Anything with less than sharply defined letters turns into smudged greyish blurs.

• Shello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I suffer from a very similar eye condition that makes it impossible for me to see anything against a bright background. It's called Retinitis Pigmentosa, a degenerative eye condition. I would absolutely love to see you guys add in a high contrast mode, one that effects every single menu and sub-menu in the program. Though, perhaps you could add a bit of customization on top of that? Yellow text, as the original poster mentioned, wouldn't be optimal for me. Bright white text on a pitch black background would be best. If you could add options for different variants of high contrast, that would be very, VERY appreciated! Something like this: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/44677594/Screenshot%202016-08-02%2003.53.12.png

Ireally hope you take this to heart! I'd love to be ablea to use your program!

• XPC32 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shapes look like they could help. With group dm now, it gets harder for me to see who is online in group and who isnt :<

• Lara D commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey! I'm simply green-red colourblind and I have a very very hard time distinguishing the colour difference of the online (green-ish?) and offline (grey-ish?) status. Mostly applicable in my personal friends list. And I mean, sure I could check the pages that sort out online from offline. But I can't help but think this is a very easy problem to fix.
    Maybe get some higher contrasts in. Brighter green and orange.

As others suggested, definitely different shapes would make all the difference for me!

Thanks!!!

• Lulu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just imagine setting this up for people with disabilites. Discord would widen their demographic by a LOT. It'd be amazing.

• kiddysquid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Foxtrek_64 I was talking about the mode that changes the entire display, not just the theme.

• Foxtrek_64 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@ratatouyee @KiddySquid I may be wrong, but I assume the OP is suggesting this because Discord does not use [System.Windows.Forms] to draw its form, resulting in Windows configurations not updating the display style of Discord. Then again, I have not tried this myself and I could be wrong.

• ratatouyee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't want to sound like a cunt, but doesn't High Contrast Mode in Windows do that systemwide?

• SlickJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This doesn't affect me personally nor do I know of anyone who is blind but I think this is a great idea, making it fully accessible to legal blind users seems like a step in the right direction.

• Tony commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is such a great cause, I really hope they find a way to work this in. To make your idea a reality, I'll have all my friends upvote and once!

Feedback and Knowledge Base