How can we improve Discord?

Password Protected Servers

It would be a great if you could set a password for people to join the server. For example, if someone clicks the instant invite link, they are prompted for a password, which the owner can give them. I think this would stop random people joining the server if the invite link gets spread.

8,459 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Croplight shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

354 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Galactipod commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can already do this. Send invite, and you need a role to get access to channels. You send the password to an admin and they give the role.

• AexD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it an option for the owner to password protect invites.

here is a scenario:

defaults: cannot add or remove invites

trusted users: can make invites, but has a use limit of 5 per invite and has a forced password the owner sets

staff: unlimited access to invites

• Vektuz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the link can be spread so can the password. If you want something like this you would instead want something like one-time-use invite codes (Which are possible to develop).

• Sentry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I know you don't want to be like Teamspeak, and I get it, but really, hear me out.

We can use password protected channels and it would be so awesome! So we don't have to manually add them to a role that can join.

There are quite a few TeamSpeak servers that still use TeamSpeak just because of Password Protect, because a few servers I know on are on a game called Garry's Mod, and it's for Star Wars RP.
    They used TeamSpeak as it has password protect, so they don't have to manually add them to a role that can join, and then if they leave a certain base or platform, a Moderator doesn't have to remove them.

Please think about it Discord! If you added this, you'd officially beat them.

• drewby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

like Sal said, this is literally unecessary, you just need to set the default @everyone role to have no permissions so that only those who are "welcome" can be given a role to use the server/see the channels.

• Rocks the Squirrel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Downvote cause yeah, as others have said, passwords can be sent around too. This is where making a URL one time use was made for.

• Sal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is why you have roles though isn't it? Make it so @everyone can't do anything except see your welcome screen, and then assign a member role to grant access upon verification of your choosing?

• 2secslater commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with notGoronado how the password can be spread. How about when they click the invite, it simply asks the administrators of the server whether or not the user should be allowed in.

• ecky commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now the password is spread. Congratulations, god think for a minute!

• Scotty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Instead of an invite link spreading, an invite link and a password will spread. How is this an improvement?

• netkeeper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't agree with "just use an invite link ITS the password hurrhurr" what if someone embeds my server into a forum I don't want them embedding, or I ban someone and they give out the link to a shitload of friends within five minutes. There are a lot of reasons this would be useful, idk if I will use it but upvoted

• missingnullxd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, aren't invite links kinda like a password for the servers or something. You can just share an instant invite link that gets used once in which it gets expired and then no one else can use it or you can add time to when the link expires.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 17 18

Feedback and Knowledge Base