How can we improve Discord?

Password Protected Servers

It would be a great if you could set a password for people to join the server. For example, if someone clicks the instant invite link, they are prompted for a password, which the owner can give them. I think this would stop random people joining the server if the invite link gets spread.

9,920 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Croplight shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

395 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Pawpup667 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is already implemented.There's a server i want to join on Discord.me, but when i click join it asks for a password.I cannot join it due to that sadly DX

• longbyte1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord guilds are already password-protected by default. An invite link is an automatically-generated password with a finite number of uses.

• JeDaYoshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you make invites, this is not the best choice. It'd be wise to do this. Even bots would work, but then, additional stuff...

• ZMKevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even if you can just get rid of the invite link, this is still usefull, as a second layer of security.

• Sonic0009 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

you do know you can erase the link in your server settings to invalidate the link thus preventing random people from joining the server, and also there are the rest of the members that can create the invite link and invite other people without your consent, but you can also solve that problem as well by revoking their permission to create an invite link

• Ankou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@pydlv mostly on a server everyone can use inve link so finally with an password you can controll it because the person who inve will ask you what is password you say tell me the person and after that you need a new password no one sayes for this idea that the password not change after using

• Ankou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@salty™ you can have for everything a bot but than why we not use a program with none programmes and let the bot do the work ???

• Celadin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This isn't really necessary or worth the downsides. If you want a protected server set up channels and roles correctly. Password protected would become a norm and really ruin the vibe of randomly joining servers and exploring new communities, which is a big boon for Discord. If you want a private service, use your own service.

• Unnamed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can setup a channel where new members join, and then you assign them the appropriate role for the rest of the other channels.

• pydlv commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the invite link gets spread, then the password will be spread.... This feature would solve nothing.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 19 20

Feedback and Knowledge Base