How can we improve Discord?

Password Protected Servers

It would be a great if you could set a password for people to join the server. For example, if someone clicks the instant invite link, they are prompted for a password, which the owner can give them. I think this would stop random people joining the server if the invite link gets spread.

3,969 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

CroplightCroplight shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

198 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ForgetfulCatForgetfulCat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or you could do what I do for TeamSpeak and give people the password, let 'em join in, add 'em to a role that doesn't need the password, and then change the password. That's the most secure way to do it.

• i agreei agree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This idea is simply flawed as these peopled noted https://i.imgur.com/ZLpVWXg.png

This feedback site itself is a poor place for discussing suggestions, after all, how can we do that when we only have the comments organized by most recent, without votes and replies? Any noteworthy comments that points out flaws or interesting points about a suggestion will just get washed away by recent comments.

• YepYep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If you know how to work with roles and channels, then you don't need a password at all.

• AccidentalPigeonAccidentalPigeon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Far better an idea is to give servers an option to only allow users to join who have a verified email within an approved domain name as specified by the server administrators. This is super important for corporate security if Discord intends to take away market share from Slack. Companies who would use Discord as their primary communication service require it, and Slack already has it.

• Twisted_CodeTwisted_Code commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I second the point Nanaki made (although I wouldn't call it less secure. Just overly ccomplicated). Instant invites have the option for a time limit and use quota for a reason. The absolute only problem with invite links as they are when it comes to limiting people is that when you change the setting, it creates a new link without invalidating the 30 minute infinite one created initially. if they fix that, this idea becomes completely obsolete. Even if they don't, the chance of someone figuring out one of these unwanted links if you don't share it is slim to none.
    Tl;dr don't bother. Existing system offers damn near the same level of security

• NanakiNanaki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seems like a less secure way to do what's already possible. Yeah, you don't need to constantly create invite links, but the password can be shared just the same as the invite links. What do you do when the password is compromised? Change the password? Or maybe submit a request limited-time passwords? It's pointless. You can just create a single use invite and send it to the person you want to join. They joined the server and the invite link is no longer valid. Problem solved.

• ChewChew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"or use a temp link" "disable invite links"
    ever heard of people are lazy
    just give them a perm invite, a password, and done
    no stupid ass temporary links
    no stupid add invite or permission management
    just cut out the middleman and give us passworded servers

come on even irc has it

• LewnoxLewnox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A little bit unnecessary
    U can use temp invites and u can easily controll who get on ur Server

• Canine8_YTCanine8_YT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

and also should be able to add passwords to the different text and voice channels too!

• Spoopy Daddy GanBOOOOOOSpoopy Daddy GanBOOOOOO commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

u could make it one time use links so each link can only be used once its like a burner phone this way links cant get spread and u can choose carefully who can make new links and this way private servers can stay private
    tbh if ur server has more than 20 people then u should start making private channels in order for new people that are friends of those friends not being able to see what u dont want them to see organize ur server and make it just like u would make a public one even if its private this way u have less scenarios like this managing a discord server is literally a few clicks and ur done if thats too hard theres a guide its not ts3 with the complex permission system it had according to friends i have dealt with both platforms and my favorite is discord due to the fact that it doesnt make my friends go hey can u teach me how to setup perms and etc since its so easy that anyone can do it and prevent stuff like that from happening

• edderioferedderiofer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nah. This can already be done, functionally, by assigning a Members role to do stuff in the server and setting @everyone to not be able to do anything by default.

• 29.29. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This Is a great idea for private servers , And i think it will help a lot of people . :)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base