How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

605 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat HackerRed Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ChompTheTrikeChompTheTrike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to comment this. I have an automobile server with a crap tone of channels, and it bugs me being a perfectionist.

• MeadowMeadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to have:
    - Overwatch
    > Quick Play
    > Competitive
    would be super nice to have.

• AriamisAriamis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just need Category Nesting in general. A tree branching system where you can have however man categories within as many other categories as you wish. The current category system works great, just needs expanded and scaled out more.

• NickNick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub-Categories is a must! With categories out, this is a general clean up for server owners. Now we need sub-categories to better arrange our categories. It's still quite as messy as it is.

• ElweThorElweThor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Discord is growing from being "just a TeamSpeak replacement" to something bigger (and more useful: I'm seeing it being used like a forum), a way to make Categories Tree is definitely a must: the "simple channels list" is rapidly becoming a mess or even just too long.
    Would be interesting if "containers" inherit "child containers" and channels alerts, so to avoid to "dig" into the tree to discover a sub-sub-sub-channel had activity, if the subtree is collapsed.

• JackTJackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But could I have a category within a category within a category within a category?

• AidanAidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely Need This one! Since Categories came out I've been wanting Sub Categories

• BoXslaXerBoXslaXer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need for my server this thing because we need to classify the games and the partys of the games

• JacenBoyJacenBoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue with this is that it would likely be abused to make an overly convoluted system. One level is plenty.

• OllidwFTW2OllidwFTW2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need server list categories, just like how we have them on discord now. This would be great to customize lots of things.There should be categories and sub-categories. The sub-categories will fit within categories.

• LandverraderLandverrader commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was thinking exactly the same, I wanted to structure my server like:
    - Chill
    - General
    - Music

- Tryhard
    - LoL
    - CSGO
    - etc.

- Random

But for now I can only do the main categories, which annoys me

• VINNIVINNI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This!
    I really really hoped this was coming along with Categories, was a bit let down

• KenzatoKenzato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the catagories but i wish we could have sub catagories.

For example

One category about Counter strike with other catagories like Modding section inside of it

• NyxNyx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@OGNovuh
    I am writing this because I got canary and I'm testing it out and realised that you can not place a category inside of another category, if you can then I would appreciate some instructions as to how you would do it as I have been playing around with it for the past 3 hours.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base