How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

1,486 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

49 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sion the Rapadant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

just want to give my inpute here on this, I started using voice services on a community a while back for a game server on garrys mod. they used teamspeak. 1 of the most used things about it was that they had a category for various things such as "Trainers HQ" for training new players, staff channels category, event planning category and so on. Within some of these categories they had various subcategories for things such as waiting rooms for people trying out for these various roles, a meeting room that only certain people could go into with authorization and they could then pull people in for interviewing. and many other uses for these subcategories. it also helps with hiding higher staff channels from lower staff seeing them, providing layers and structure. we also used it as regular players too, each individual group had its own section in the teamspeak and commanders were given control over it. what some did was setup a officers section within the command section. officers of this small group could then be able to control only that section while commanders controlled almost everything and server staff controlled far more.

This would also help communities who own multiple servers so they can organize things such as their TF2 servers desperately from their individual gmod servers or ARMA 3 servers and so on.

The only other thing that I would say needs to be added to the subcategory idea would be the ability to specify if it should start collapsed or not in settings so that it doesn't instantly clutter a new users screen

• MELOMAN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, I apologize in advance for my bad English because It's Google translate. I want to ask you to add a function to the server with which you can add subcategories to categories. Thanks for attention.

• Tinc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make Discord so much easier and organized for those of us in gaming communities where we have guilds in different games. Each with their own sets of allies/nemesis' and public raiding. Please make this a thing soon!!

• Murkrage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Categories were great, this would make it even better! This adds so many management possibilities.

• JustMaffie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub category in sub category too etc, would be handy, although currently I don't see the use for it, but I have no doubt many many many many many people would love to see this too

• Rebuc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I want is what I had in TS, the ability to organize as I see fit...we have a large community, multiple gaming groups all going at the same time, and each needs to have their groups organized in different ways. Categories were a great start, now let us go as deep as needed with additional sub areas (a second layer might be enough for some, but I'd love to not have it limited at all).

• Nunuyo Beezwax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a good idea, but I think the sub-categories should stop at sub-sub categories. Anything more than that would be too cluttered.

• tG|Mendien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my community at least, the main thing keeping us from moving is the lack of channel organization.

Like the OP said, give us subs of subs.

MMO
    -Aion
    --Raid 1
    --Raid 2
    -Revelation Online
    --Lobby
    --PvP
    --Chill

You get the point :) And ensure we have ability to collapse them by top the higher level above them.

• CTAKAHbI4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah! Categories was a nice addition, but I think, Discord needs a fylly tree-like channels system. Like it implemented ad Team Speak or Ventrilo.

• Cuphead & Mugman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also can you PLEASE get rid of the All caps on categories, and the all lower and hyphens in channels it triggers me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that.

• Motley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been plundering this myself, Or I read your comment wrong

\/ Clans

\/ Clan-Killers
    #applications
    #ban appeals
    #news
    #territories

\/ Lost-Hope
    #applications
    #ban appeals
    #news
    #territories

This would be really really nice. And would help ditch out anything you don't want to see

• 3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took two years for the regular channel categories to come in, so please don't make this one that long :(

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base