How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

4,355 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

227 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rebuc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I want is what I had in TS, the ability to organize as I see fit...we have a large community, multiple gaming groups all going at the same time, and each needs to have their groups organized in different ways. Categories were a great start, now let us go as deep as needed with additional sub areas (a second layer might be enough for some, but I'd love to not have it limited at all).

• Nunuyo Beezwax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a good idea, but I think the sub-categories should stop at sub-sub categories. Anything more than that would be too cluttered.

• tG|Mendien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For my community at least, the main thing keeping us from moving is the lack of channel organization.

Like the OP said, give us subs of subs.

MMO
    -Aion
    --Raid 1
    --Raid 2
    -Revelation Online
    --Lobby
    --PvP
    --Chill

You get the point :) And ensure we have ability to collapse them by top the higher level above them.

• CTAKAHbI4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah! Categories was a nice addition, but I think, Discord needs a fylly tree-like channels system. Like it implemented ad Team Speak or Ventrilo.

• Seiro Patience commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also can you PLEASE get rid of the All caps on categories, and the all lower and hyphens in channels it triggers me PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get rid of that.

• Motley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been plundering this myself, Or I read your comment wrong

\/ Clans

\/ Clan-Killers
    #applications
    #ban appeals
    #news
    #territories

\/ Lost-Hope
    #applications
    #ban appeals
    #news
    #territories

This would be really really nice. And would help ditch out anything you don't want to see

• VampireBl00d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All current permission should be divided into categories, for example: Manage role into Manage self-role and manage others role, Manage channels to create and delete channel or move channel, Manage nickname into Manage own nickname or Manage other nickname and so on...

• 3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took two years for the regular channel categories to come in, so please don't make this one that long :(

• Polyxena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the owner of a multigaming community with more than 300 (active!) members Discord is not a good alternative for teamspeak yet. But with the introduction of the categories a big step was made for bigger projects to feel more comfortable with discord.
    But for the fact that we Need around 50-80 voice channels the function to create sub-categories is mandatory.

+1 vote for the sub-category idea ;)

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it happen but make it as many sub categories not just one extra

• StonedLover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah totally agree and since we have Category. This shouldnt be hard to implement. Just let us allow to make childs of Categorys

Feedback and Knowledge Base