How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

3,756 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

168 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Danny commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had the same thought so I came here to check if anyone else did as well. I own a game discord, that seconds as a community/forum as it's where most my traffic accumulates and I myself have fun considering myself a community developer. I think it's an important feature because I now have 33 channels (4 voice, rest text to organize context and prevent flooding) and 6 categories. With subcategories, I could help sweep a lot of unsightly channels under the rug so that users have an easier time navigating the discord channel.

• Nurse Phantump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My server would HEAVILY benefit from this, it's a server I created for a large (and frankly kind of complex, oops) story I made and a subcategory for some of the already existing categories I have would be amazing for structure

• 🔪 (x) doubt 🔪 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let's say you have a 'general category', then under that you can have a 'memes subcategory', which opens up to all the meme channels, then an 'nsfw subcategory' which opens up to all the nsfw channels, ect. This would be amazing.

• Rito Vena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how this isn't a feature yet! This would be amazing organisation-wise for big servers where alot of different stuff is done

• sav ♡ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

do you think you guys could possibly add "Subcategories"? that way if you wanted to organize something within a category, you don't need to make a completely new one?

• TheCyberhide commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can agree to the idea of having sub-categories. Not only mine but thousands if not hundreds of servers can profit from it.

• Razz Pitazz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Server desperately needs this, we run several services both publicly and privately. Private members still interact with public members so they need access to both, however trying to organize the category tree in a way that makes everything accessible to private members is near impossible as it is right now. If we had sub categories we could easily make a private and public tab to collapse nearly 50% of our server for ease of use.

• GWOUtester commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

please this will be an awesome addition to large gaming servers so that the
    y may make sub-theatergoers for every gam
    er that server so people can have the specific space saved

• Delande commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please, allowing us to nest categories would make organizing discord channels a lot easier and less cluttered.

• YourPalJake commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really important as many of my servers get overcrowded by to many catagories that actualy have 1 main categorie for example: coding or games etc

• Inter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The ability to have channel nesting with sub-categories. This has a lot of use for heavily information/text based servers. For some servers it has become an issue not being able to sub-categorize vast amounts of text, making the server look like it has an endless list of channels. Patiently waiting for an update in that field.

• Shaboicarl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Category<Sub<Voicechat/Textchat

Or

'Category'
    'League of Legends'
    'Voicechat'
    'Textchat'

Feedback and Knowledge Base