How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

2,143 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

76 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • VampireBl00d commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All current permission should be divided into categories, for example: Manage role into Manage self-role and manage others role, Manage channels to create and delete channel or move channel, Manage nickname into Manage own nickname or Manage other nickname and so on...

• 3 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It took two years for the regular channel categories to come in, so please don't make this one that long :(

• Polyxena commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As the owner of a multigaming community with more than 300 (active!) members Discord is not a good alternative for teamspeak yet. But with the introduction of the categories a big step was made for bigger projects to feel more comfortable with discord.
    But for the fact that we Need around 50-80 voice channels the function to create sub-categories is mandatory.

+1 vote for the sub-category idea ;)

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it happen but make it as many sub categories not just one extra

• StonedLover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah totally agree and since we have Category. This shouldnt be hard to implement. Just let us allow to make childs of Categorys

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hallo
    Ich würde gerne um ein Update bitten
    und zwar eins wo man eine Kategorie erstellen kann und in dieser Kategorie unter Kategorien
    z.B

#Klassen (Hauptkategorie)
    #Druide (Unterkategorie Klassen)
    #Addons (unterkategorie von Druiden)
    #Todesritter (Unterkategorie Klassen)

• ChompTheTrike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was just about to comment this. I have an automobile server with a crap tone of channels, and it bugs me being a perfectionist.

• Meadow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to have:
    - Overwatch
    > Quick Play
    > Competitive
    would be super nice to have.

• Ariamis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We just need Category Nesting in general. A tree branching system where you can have however man categories within as many other categories as you wish. The current category system works great, just needs expanded and scaled out more.

• Nick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub-Categories is a must! With categories out, this is a general clean up for server owners. Now we need sub-categories to better arrange our categories. It's still quite as messy as it is.

• ElweThor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As Discord is growing from being "just a TeamSpeak replacement" to something bigger (and more useful: I'm seeing it being used like a forum), a way to make Categories Tree is definitely a must: the "simple channels list" is rapidly becoming a mess or even just too long.
    Would be interesting if "containers" inherit "child containers" and channels alerts, so to avoid to "dig" into the tree to discover a sub-sub-sub-channel had activity, if the subtree is collapsed.

• Sews commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be great if we could add categories under categories. For example - a 'Voice Channels' category and a 'Chilling' category inside of that category. It would improve organization and make the servers look better overall.

• JackT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But could I have a category within a category within a category within a category?

Feedback and Knowledge Base