How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

3,440 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

137 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Internal Screaming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Server->Category->Category->Channel!

Now I know that this idea is overstated, but HEAR ME OUT! I run like FIVE Rp Servers, and none of them are neat enough to do what I need them to do. I'll use one as an example. I run a server called "Dungeons & Dragons; Chronicles of Aldonia". I know I could have come up with a better name than Aldonia, but I was lazy and it just popped into my head at the time.
    Here's the kicker:

THIS SERVER WAS BUILT TO SUPPORT ANY SUGGESTED GAME!
    We currently only support D&D and Pathfinder, and we are working on Call of Cthulu, but there is a suggestions channel where people can suggest their separate game! No one has used it yet, but you get the Idea... The problem is that I need subcategories (1 or 2 extra layers should be WAY MORE than enough) for something Like this:

SERVER
    D&D
    INFO
    MAP
    CHARACTERS
    QUEST
    MAINQUEST

And so on.

I hope you consider this, because my servers almost literally depend on it!

Thank you for your time!

• Vyz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree, these sub-category would be very useful for servers who can be veeeery long despite the categories we already have. I really need that kind of update personaly xD
    You've got my vote.

• Kevinhaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having joined many many many discord Servers they just fill up my "Left" space of the discord app. Having to scroll far up or down to get through.
    Even though the search option is neat i think that if you could create different "Catagories" for groups of Servers will make it look cleaner. Reduce space, and you will be able to organize how you want it.
    For example, I play some GTA V RP, and have joined 5 Discord groups for the unique server. But if you could create a personal Category for "GTA Servers" and other stuff it would be nice.

"Category: GTA V RP"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3
    >Server4
    >Server5

"Category: League Of Legends Servers"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3
    >Server4

"Category: School"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3

"Category: Friends"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3

• The Gaming Assassin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make categories have categories, and those categories have categories!
    I have a server of my own, and even sub-categories would be useful, but if sub-categories became a thing, I would still have alot of clutter. Currently, yes, discord does look alot better than before, but, it isn't at its full potential. Multiple categories inside multiple categories inside a category would make my day. It would mean discord servers could look their best.
    Eg.
    [Category]
    ----->Channel<
    ----->Channel<
    -----[Category]
    ---------->Channel<
    ----------[Category]
    --------------->Channel<
    --------------->Channel<
    -----[Category]
    ---------->Channel<

• The Gaming Assassin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make categories have categories, and those categories have categories!
    I have a server of my own, and even sub-categories would be useful, but if sub-categories became a thing, I would still have alot of clutter. Currently, yes, discord does look alot better than before, but, it isn't at its full potential. Multiple categories inside multiple categories inside a category would make my day. It would mean discord servers could look their best.
    Eg.
    [Category]
    >Channel<
    >Channel<
    [Category]
    >Channel<
    [Category]
    >Channel<
    >Channel<
    [Category]
    >Channel<

• Ek-claiRr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oui, ça serai grave cool, d'avoir une catégorie, puis des sous-catégories, pour pouvoir crée des salons - Vocaux / Ecrit, du coup, comme windows, des dossiers, dans des dossiers

• Gloryddd™ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Im in a lot of Roleplay servers and we've come into some secnairos that we had a location that would have other rooms and such in it but we didnt want to make the category massive. I resulted to locking a channel and naming it "Sub-Category-Name" it works but having an actual feature would make it more formal and is very much needed in big servers. You've got my vote.

• Scotty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like a good idea but if they implement this people will ask for Sub-Sub-Catgories

• Red commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, I'd like to make archive categories for channels people don't really use anymore but might want to somewhere down the line.

• An Occasional Peeker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be renamed to Infinite Sub-Categories.

- Europa Universalis 4
    == European Campaign
    === Northern Europe
    ==== Group I
    ==== Group II
    ==== Group III
    === Southern Europe
    ==== Group I
    ==== Group II
    ==== Group III
    === Western Europe
    ==== Group I