How can we improve Discord?

Category Within A Category (Sub-Category)

I like the implementation of the categories for discord. It makes servers look a lot more neater and better to look at, but there are some people that would like more the the main category because sometimes it isn't enough. Having a second layer would be enough, for example:
> Categories
-channels
>Sub-Categories
-channels
(apology for any grammar/spelling mistakes)

4,206 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Red Hat Hacker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

209 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • rife170 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm an admin for a gaming community with over 200 weekly active members.

We desperately need sub-channels and temp channels that self-delete when the last user leaves.

These are literally the only features we miss from teamspeak.

• Teer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes this would help me so much cause i would love to have a path of
    Cat: Games with limited slots
    Sub: Fortnite
    Chan: 3 rooms
    Sub: PUBG
    Chan: 3 rooms
    so on so forth

• Silver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will help out so much. I mod for a relatively popular YouTuber's server and the amount of channels is ridiculous, even with categories. Subcategories would free up so much left bar space!

• Sojobo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having categories within categories would be mega useful for maintaining a tidier discord for larger servers!

• Zach329 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely need this!!

-Shooter Games
    ----PUBG
    ---------voice
    ---------chat
    ----CS:GO
    ---------voice
    ---------chat

• Internal Screaming commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Server->Category->Category->Channel!

Now I know that this idea is overstated, but HEAR ME OUT! I run like FIVE Rp Servers, and none of them are neat enough to do what I need them to do. I'll use one as an example. I run a server called "Dungeons & Dragons; Chronicles of Aldonia". I know I could have come up with a better name than Aldonia, but I was lazy and it just popped into my head at the time.
    Here's the kicker:

THIS SERVER WAS BUILT TO SUPPORT ANY SUGGESTED GAME!
    We currently only support D&D and Pathfinder, and we are working on Call of Cthulu, but there is a suggestions channel where people can suggest their separate game! No one has used it yet, but you get the Idea... The problem is that I need subcategories (1 or 2 extra layers should be WAY MORE than enough) for something Like this:

SERVER
    D&D
    INFO
    MAP
    CHARACTERS
    QUEST
    MAINQUEST

And so on.

I hope you consider this, because my servers almost literally depend on it!

Thank you for your time!

• Vyz 🐍 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely agree, these sub-category would be very useful for servers who can be veeeery long despite the categories we already have. I really need that kind of update personaly xD
    You've got my vote.

• Kevinhaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having joined many many many discord Servers they just fill up my "Left" space of the discord app. Having to scroll far up or down to get through.
    Even though the search option is neat i think that if you could create different "Catagories" for groups of Servers will make it look cleaner. Reduce space, and you will be able to organize how you want it.
    For example, I play some GTA V RP, and have joined 5 Discord groups for the unique server. But if you could create a personal Category for "GTA Servers" and other stuff it would be nice.

"Category: GTA V RP"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3
    >Server4
    >Server5

"Category: League Of Legends Servers"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3
    >Server4

"Category: School"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3

"Category: Friends"
    >Server1
    >Server2
    >Server3

• The Gaming Assassin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Make categories have categories, and those categories have categories!
    I have a server of my own, and even sub-categories would be useful, but if sub-categories became a thing, I would still have alot of clutter. Currently, yes, discord does look alot better than before, but, it isn't at its full potential. Multiple categories inside multiple categories inside a category would make my day. It would mean discord servers could look their best.
    Eg.
    [Category]
    ----->Channel<
    ----->Channel<
    -----[Category]
    ---------->Channel<
    ----------[Category]
    --------------->Channel<
    --------------->Channel<
    -----[Category]
    ---------->Channel<

Feedback and Knowledge Base