How can we improve Discord?

Discord is not only for gamers! Change Discord's description

All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers, developers, friends, family and literally everyone that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.

This is how it should be

1,174 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

NayamAmarshe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

72 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Mazzy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Honestly dislike this idea. I have enjoyed meeting all kinds of people on discord, but the majority enjoy games. That’s whats so great. No matter who I speak to, they play games.

i really rather keep the discord usebase this way.

• Wolfie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's definitely not for family though. The architecture just isn't developed for being a light messenger app like Telegram. Developers and groups I'd agree with.

• Sasoriza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't change the description of Discord,it's the root, it's why Discord is made. Gamers aren't asking people to change their gender. So why Discord should change description ? :)

• FrenchMasterSword commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

None of my servers are about gaming and I use very rarely Discord to play.
    HOWEVER, you can't say it's not for gamers. Notice the missing "only" you lost in your comments ;
    it was originally created to be used as free-Skype-TeamSpeak for gamers.
    Do not change the essence and the purpose of it ; just use it !
    You remind me of people saying we should remove the jokes in the interface : jokes and gaming ar part of its purpose, making a friendly and cool app, for gamers.

• Cecillia 💖 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And if people tell me to get off of Discord due to what I wrote, then I tell them that they should get off Discord and get a job, instead of gaming in their mom's basement. I mean: come on, we aren't minimizing you, we the non "core-gamers" group want a voice too. There should be a main-focus on gamers, but they shouldn't lose track of other people.

People don't join, because they think it's for gamers, while it's more than that. I'm in only non-gaming/mainly non-gaming related servers, and they're pretty active.

• Cecillia 💖 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord is a multi-purpose chat application. I'd agree, but maybe say:
    "All-in-one voice, text, and video chat for gamers, artists, the girl next door, your dog who secretly has a nuclear plant under your house, and even your grandma who loves candy crush, literally everyone, that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype.
    Simplify your life"

Discord is a cool service, IMHO the gamer part is just not completely justified, it should be inclusive towards everyone, not just the so-called "core gamers". Certain "core-gamers" are people who are awful. They use words that got a bad connotation, and that gets reflected on the rest of Discord too. It's not like most of Discord's userbase fall in the "core-gamers" group anymore. We don't live in 2015. Discord is now a chat app that gets used by literally everyone. If the gamers userbase has a problem with that, then they are too shallowminded and better back off.

• Intrigue commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Funny when this is one of the primary listed features:

"Designed for use while gaming, Discord has minimal impact on your CPU. Your game's performance won't be affected in the slightest. Seriously. It's time to ditch CPU hogs like Skype."

Discord was created with GAMERS in mind - PERIOD. It's presented as an alternative to other services constantly used by gamers such as Ventrilo and TeamSpeak and other platforms such as Curse have emerged to fill that void as well. Does that mean that you have to be a gamer to use it? Of course not, but to act as though gamers weren't the inspiration behind the app or the features just makes you guys sound so ridiculous. If you're not a gamer, you're not clued into gamer-centric features that are built into the app (hint: Desktop App). Just because YOU don't notice them, doesn't mean they don't exist. If you're one of those people who just has an issue with the term "gamer" and wants to attach some kind of stigma to it that you want to avoid - THEN KINDLY USE SKYPE, THE FREE VERSION OF SLACK, OR SOME OTHER PRODUCTIVITY PLATFORM, OR DEAL WITH IT AND STOP TRYING TO MINIMIZE US!

• Chip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a musician. I am in many, many music production servers and while gaming may be the largest focus of Discord users, music is definitely not far behind. Voted!

• ArcticTaco ☕ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The thing is it started out with it being just for gamers, you can't just walts into a place that wasn't ment for your type of style and demand it to be neutral. If you walk into a gay bar and straight people like it they wouldn't say that they want it to be just a regular bar.

• lisaclark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello viewers I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my Husband return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank PROPHET SALIM for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my husband, I required help until i found a great spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my husband back in two days after the spell has been cast. Three days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my husband who has not called me for past 6 months now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. PROPHET SALIM released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest woman on earth and me and my husband is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to PROPHET SALIM for the excessive work that he has done for me. please brothers and sisters if you are ppassing throuhg any kind of problem contact this great spell caster
    via his email (excellentspelltemple@outlook.com) or his website (https://excellentspelltemp.wixsite.com/spell) or 08077036738

• lisaclark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello viewers I promise to share this testimony all over the world once my Husband return back to me, and today with all due respect i want to thank PROPHET SALIM for bringing joy and happiness to my relationship and my family. I want to inform you all that there is a spell caster that is real and genuine. I never believed in any of these things until i loosed my husband, I required help until i found a great spell caster, And he cast a love spell for me, and he assured me that I will get my husband back in two days after the spell has been cast. Three days later, my phone rang, and so shockingly, it was my husband who has not called me for past 6 months now, and made an apology for the heart break, and told me that he is ready to be my back bone till the rest of his life with me. PROPHET SALIM released him up to know how much i loved and wanted him. As I`m writing this testimony right now I`m the most happiest woman on earth and me and my husband is living a happy life and our love is now stronger than how it were even before our break up. So that`s why I promised to share my testimony all over the universe. All thanks goes to PROPHET SALIM for the excessive work that he has done for me. please brothers and sisters if you are ppassing throuhg any kind of problem contact this great spell caster
    via his email (excellentspelltemple@outlook.com) or his website (https://excellentspelltemp.wixsite.com/spell) or 08077036738

• iiTheWither commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is built for gamers and alot of features are based around gaming. Its a waste of time.

• Lil' Zxch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to: Krzaku.

"I would argue the secure part. I consider nothing that goes through 3rd party servers secure. TeamSpeak is much better in this regard, you host the server yourself and have a say what gets sent where. But in this day and age where people willingly give their private information for free it doesn't surprise me how Facebook and apps such as Discord get so much traction."

Hey, until a virus gets sent through your server, ends up on your computer and that of the recipients. Don't forget that you may also have your IP exposed as it is portforwarded. Don't share it with the wrong people. Hence why Discord is secure. Also, Discord is a communication app, so hence why people DO see your messages. If we're talking about DMs; they can be exposed via screenshots or MessageIDs, so I don't see how your own self-hosted server would make any difference on that.

• Lil' Zxch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love this change because I am not a gamer and solely run community servers, and have fun roleplaying.

• video commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Normies don't use TeamSpeak, as far as I can tell. Also, Facebook Messenger.

• Krzaku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would argue the secure part. I consider nothing that goes through 3rd party servers secure. TeamSpeak is much better in this regard, you host the server yourself and have a say what gets sent where. But in this day and age where people willingly give their private information for free it doesn't surprise me how Facebook and apps such as Discord get so much traction.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base