How can we improve Discord?

Discord is not only for gamers! Change Discord's description

All-in-one voice and text chat for gamers, developers, friends, family and literally everyone that's free, secure, and works on both your desktop and phone. Stop paying for TeamSpeak servers and hassling with Skype. Simplify your life.

This is how it should be

2,469 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

NayamAmarshe shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

139 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cairo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is built for gamers and alot of features are based around gaming. Its a waste of time.

• Lil' Zxch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In response to: Krzaku.

"I would argue the secure part. I consider nothing that goes through 3rd party servers secure. TeamSpeak is much better in this regard, you host the server yourself and have a say what gets sent where. But in this day and age where people willingly give their private information for free it doesn't surprise me how Facebook and apps such as Discord get so much traction."

Hey, until a virus gets sent through your server, ends up on your computer and that of the recipients. Don't forget that you may also have your IP exposed as it is portforwarded. Don't share it with the wrong people. Hence why Discord is secure. Also, Discord is a communication app, so hence why people DO see your messages. If we're talking about DMs; they can be exposed via screenshots or MessageIDs, so I don't see how your own self-hosted server would make any difference on that.

• Lil' Zxch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd love this change because I am not a gamer and solely run community servers, and have fun roleplaying.

• video commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Normies don't use TeamSpeak, as far as I can tell. Also, Facebook Messenger.

• Krzaku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would argue the secure part. I consider nothing that goes through 3rd party servers secure. TeamSpeak is much better in this regard, you host the server yourself and have a say what gets sent where. But in this day and age where people willingly give their private information for free it doesn't surprise me how Facebook and apps such as Discord get so much traction.

• ps4star commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a terrible idea. Discord is NOT for normies, and that's quite evident in their slogan (I mean yeah they say gamers but it's effectively the same thing). As azgoodaz said, go back to Facebook Messenger.

And Michael, inclusion of non-gamers will SEVERELY impact the service for all gamers. We do NOT want a bunch of normies flooding the platform, ESPECIALLY if they're going to start petitioning to make it more inclusive. That's like you going to someone else's house and demanding that they make changes so you'll feel more comfortable.

Also there's two excellent counter-points that Undoingslayer brought up: 1) Discord DOES have a ton of gamer-specific features, and 2) (and I believe I brought this up already but just to reiterate) The gamers make up the majority of the community (though disgustingly enough, it does appear that more and more normies are finding out about it, which needs to be stopped immediately before Discord becomes the next Facebook), so why would the developers completely redo the entirety of Discord just for a small fraction of the people that use it?

• Undoingslayer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Personally i think it shouldn't change discord is very gaming focused hence the fact you can link accounts from battle.net, steam, league, etc.... I realize people use it for other reasons but i don't think we should do a re brand for what is probably a minority in the discord community. As someone who has worked in offices i just don't think people would choose Discord over skype for that type of work. idk just my 2 cents

• azgoodaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a horrible idea. One of the horrible ideas on this feedback site.

Go use Facebook Messenger.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, I didn't originally give discord much attention for this reason. I have no interest in video games at all, but it's definitely the best messaging app out there and I use it as my primary communication platform. Its actual functionality has nothing to do with gamers specifically.

I'm not sure what's with all the people saying "no, discord is only for gamers, go use skype!" It's not like being more inclusive with their marketing affects gamers in any way at all, no one's asking for a complete overall of the app.

• lancee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...no. you idiot. it's focused towards gaming, just because people use it as an alternative to skype doesn't mean you should change it

• Roberto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A gaming focus for discord if definitely important, but discord can be used for many more reasons, and having a gaming-oriented description may keep new users away, no knowing what discord [really] is. I think reflecting this fact in the marketing and descriptions would be suitable. Ie. mention discord as having features for gaming, chatting, small and large communities, whatever.

• doofface99 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. I got Discord awhile back for completely non-gaming related reasons, was extremely happy with it, and have used it every day since then for just about everything except gaming. It's just an all-around great service for any other kind of communication with friends, not just gaming.

• Gummies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Focusing on gaming is awesome and I think it should stay that way. That said, Slack is the closest thing I can think of when I think of Discord. Slack's pricing model is ridiculous if you aren't a large corporation requiring a SLA/compliance features. You should make this more obvious.

• zoolie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hear where you're coming from, I definitely use Discord for non-gaming stuff too, and I think making some of the descriptions less gate-keepy are a good idea.

That being said I think the strong gaming focus in development is the reason Discord is so good.
    If it was aimed at a more generic market it wouldn't have the same charm or feature-set and we'd be looking at a tool more like slack or cisco spark.

• Padded Gamer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have to agree with this statement. It bugged the hell out of me when a new member joined my discord channel and PMed me, asking me why my discord server wasn't gaming related.

The thing about discord is that it's a forum site. I can use it like any other forum site without paying money. Which is what I find to be so great about it. I also mostly use the discord because I have a Pateron channel. And I want to give my donators some fancy titles to show off.

Feedback and Knowledge Base