How can we improve Discord?

Add a option to make servers publicly viewable if not signed in

Some platforms do not allow discord links because its not viewable publicly without signing in. A good example of this is the ROBLOX game dev platform, it's large, but moderators can't easily view discord servers without joining as a user.

I suggest making it possible for servers to allow viewing it publicly, this could also make it easier for people to determine if they want to join it. And even use it as a public platform for posting news, etc.

Although i can see issues with non-signed in users going past rate limits, but that could be a temporary ip ban.

By allowing servers to be viewable publicly, this could allow more growth to discord. Perhaps even limit public viewing to partnered servers.

424 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toothless the Dragon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Saucey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would kind of defeat the purpose of the invites, don't you think?

• XPUser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Making people see messages in servers could lead to people stalking/spying on servers they shouldn't be.

• Liggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@NDC🔹Splat "And what is with banned users? The would have acces again to a server when they logged out..."

By my suggestion below, having the @anonymous role, you could choose which channels non-signed in users can view, and if nothing should be viewable, that's up to you. – Don't you normally just ban people so they can't write? Reading isn't such an issue normally.

The option to ban IP-adresses for non-signed in users could also be an idea, but the banned user could still use their phone (through mobile broadband) to access with a new IP-adress, so it'll be hard to stop them either way. – So if you do have this issue, don't make the server publicly viewable in that case.

• Liggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

By having an @anonymous role below @everyone for non-signed in users, that by default has no permissions. You can give it the read permission on the role, or the read permission on specific channels/categories only. – An idea could be to have a server switch to enable the @anonymous role, so people won't be confused by it unless they intentionally enable the feature themselves.

• hpenney2 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To LectroNyx, actually, yes it is. Roblox itself isn't really classified as a game, and the official branding guidelines of Roblox even says that itself, near the end of this post: https://devforum.roblox.com/t/official-roblox-brand-guidelines/62894
    As you can tell, it says " 'Roblox' is a technology platform that gives developers the opportunity to make games. It is not a game itself. Please don’t refer to it as one."

• BandTrashPika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, although guests/non-signed in users should have to sign in to Discord if they want to interact.

• Quitillion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Servers are much more different than a forum. A forum is supposed to be public, whereas a server is a chatting area with personal conversations. It would not be very fair to allow anonymous figures to access it. Also, I don't think Roblox will ever unblock discord, as in reality, they can't control what goes on here.

• fishfinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a good idea, using Roblox as an example.
    Roblox doesn't allow Discord links due to the amount of abuse that happens.
    And plus, Discord is 13+ and Roblox is mostly used by young kids.

Do you see what I'm saying?

• Tomstah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wreeper, all bans include your IP, so if you have a banned IP then you most likely won't see it.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base