How can we improve Discord?

Add a option to make servers publicly viewable if not signed in

Some platforms do not allow discord links because its not viewable publicly without signing in. A good example of this is the ROBLOX game dev platform, it's large, but moderators can't easily view discord servers without joining as a user.

I suggest making it possible for servers to allow viewing it publicly, this could also make it easier for people to determine if they want to join it. And even use it as a public platform for posting news, etc.

Although i can see issues with non-signed in users going past rate limits, but that could be a temporary ip ban.

By allowing servers to be viewable publicly, this could allow more growth to discord. Perhaps even limit public viewing to partnered servers.

198 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Toothless the Dragon shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • fishfinger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not a good idea, using Roblox as an example.
    Roblox doesn't allow Discord links due to the amount of abuse that happens.
    And plus, Discord is 13+ and Roblox is mostly used by young kids.

Do you see what I'm saying?

• Tomstah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wreeper, all bans include your IP, so if you have a banned IP then you most likely won't see it.

• Chipio Industries commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a fantastic idea! As a ROBLOX developer, I can confirm that Discord is the #1 communication tool that the majority of ROBLOX developers utilize for everything from feedback to business to general conversation. If this change would enable us to use the platform more effectively, I say it is entirely worth it.

Although, I will say... a setting to disable this feature would be great as well. Some servers are meant to be private. Perhaps the addition of a new "Guest" role--people who aren't signed in--would help with this situation.

• Phantom_Gamer_17 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think it would be a good idea if discord did this but also added the ability to make your server available publicly or not.

• Genius commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

U can add discord but the hashtags that are showing on swear words will be useless

• QuetzelPretzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm with Car Crushers, and because of roblox deciding not to have discord links posted, our discord is slowly dying because no one is joining and we have 20 people or so leaving per day. This would be a great way to keep the server alive, and have all roblox discords back up again.

• Forrest Gump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like this idea; this could really stop discord scandals. However, I think that people should have a time limit for it. Maybe 10 minutes, so they don't spend too much time at the server.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base