How can we improve Discord?

Option to turn off loading screen quotes

This really is a first-world problem, but the number 1 complaint I see and have about discord is the loading screen quotes. It's more than often the kind of humour most of us wish to avoid and we kindly ask if we could have an option to turn the quotes off when logging in. Thank you!

262 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

LauraisLate shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

39 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Troubadour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand, why would you want to avoid a certain kind of humor ?

What I can get behind would be that this kind of humor can turn off non-gamers from using Discord (enterprises, older people, just generally anyone using Discord for a purpose not related to gaming or modern technology). But I don't see why you'd want to avoid it, especially when it's only one line when you log in.

• Hinchy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord is an amazing communication platform for more than just video games. The biggest obstacle to it becoming a true Skype replacement is that I can't convince people who don't play video games to join. I understand that gaming is part of Discord's identity as it is part of mine. But it'd be nice if the humor could be disabled for people that are that annoyed by it. Adding an option to disable the humor also makes Discord more suitable in professional settings, and I think you're underestimating the utility of your software there as well. I'm not saying you should get rid of it - just that it should be optional. I'd sincerely appreciate it (and, speaking as a programmer myself, it really couldn't be that hard to add a toggle for it, could it?)

• cpt_Hilly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i do not see why you would want this to be optional. qhat is wrong with the loading lines

• The Detour commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you're not keen on this kind of humor, I can't see why you would support making them optional unless you're just a jerk who likes annoying people. This would be a colossal waste of time and ought to be ignored.

• segfault commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord's gamer-twee humor is something I find obnoxious and I would appreciate it if I could just turn it off outright, not just on the loading screen but also everywhere in the UI/UX.

This ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPIMgtcQnU I found so obnoxious that it actually put me off of using Discord for about six months.

• Gabriel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even if you happen to like this brand of humour, I can't see why you wouldn't support making them optional unless you're just a dick who likes annoying people

• Fakedthrower commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, its not funny or charming, its just a mild annoyance that doesn't have to be there that should be optional

• Drax commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option would be nice, although i don't care about the memes as much as other people.

• MrSmethwick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see the option too for those who want it, but personally I don't mind, It's just a loading screen.

• Ghost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I will vote for this, but only because I believe in freedom of choice. I personally enjoy the loading quotes, references to games and media.
    just because you hate it, doesn't mean you are 'superior' in anyway. you just prefer a simple loading screen.

• VulpineRanger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Watching the loading screen quotes is like watching a cringe compilation. I've had to go to the dentist twice already from gritting my teeth so hard

• iamamitten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I wanted to read the trash that comes up on the loading screen, I would go browse 4chan's /b/.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base