How can we improve Discord?

Use phone as webcam

Hey everyone! Im sure everyone has one or multiple smartphones, but not everyone has a webcam. I thought it would be really cool if you could use your smartphone camera as a webcam, while using audio input from your pc (headset).

Maybe it could be implemented in the app (or a seperate, lightweight app) that you could stream video and use your pc as audio.

What do you think?

181 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

hendrikalgra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • simboom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried alot of external apps to use my phone as webcam, but discord doesnt support them :(

• Spike commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm sure that there are third-party software out there that can accomplish that. Discord wouldn't be the place where that sort of feature would be native.

• WispGuardian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are external programs and apps that can do this for you. I don't think Discord should be responsible for setting that up...

• iSTA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it'd be great to use a smartphone as a webcam for the desktop app. I've seen this before in megameet and it would be an awesome add to the repertoire of discord. You would be able to use the desktop mic and headphone for high-quality experience on audio while using your smartphone for video instead of outdated webcams.

Feedback and Knowledge Base