How can we improve Discord?

Timed mute

I'd like to see a feature added which allows server owns like myself to temporary ban, voice channel mute, and text-mute users.

This feature would be extremely helpful as currently all account bans, mutes, and text-mute are permanent affects which have to be manually edited which can become a huge hassle when trying to control over 3,000 other members at once.

Timed options:
* 5 minute,
* 10 minute,
* 30 minute,
* 1 hour,
* 1 day,
* custom timed ban.

3,395 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HeadlessHorror shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

51 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Kitsune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A way to temporarily inhibit someone from being able to talk/type for a specified amount of time. Permission can be given to roles and it can be a right click option like banning and kicking. The person issuing the suspension can specify the amount of time suspended. The suspension can be ended early only by the role(s) with permission or server owner.

• drgon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"insert bot can do this joke here because people are this lazy to the point where they depend on bots to do all the work"

Being serious for a second, This would be a really nice and helpful thing to have

• exploded_potato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe with a set muted channel so that the muted person can talk to the moderators+read the server rules?

• Doigt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please stop saying bots. This is ridiculous. Is discord so lacking that thinking "bots can do this" now a normal thought process? What the hell is wrong with you people!?

• Yuno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"but bots can already do this"
    so why cant discord? that would be much simpler and easier than having to set up a bot to do things that any other chat service can already do by itself

• vasinklingGR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it would be cool but bots can already do it a better idea is that it mutes the users ip so if he joins with an alt he cant talk

• SyntaxPrime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would like this, although this can be done with bots, it's a pain in the neck, and it doesn't make it easy for the end-user to understand what's going on. I hate having to apply roles just to negate perms to talk just so I can mute people, having something like this in-built to Discord would be very helpful.

+1

P.S - To all those saying "bots" can do it, that is no reason for the idea to not be implimented, in theory, bots can do anything and everything if you really wanted. Having in-built features like this in Discord would be useful and could allow for more UI elements to be shown for when a user is actually muted.

• someone commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, they can definitely do it. You remember that 10 minute countdown when you join some servers? Pretty much just keep that, but have it be custom and for muting, etc

• Purpzie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are many bots that can do this already, but for users who don't know much about bots then yes this would definitely be a great addition.

• Ankial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bot has timed MUTE. people make use of bots, discord can't add every single little thing. it will be nice if they did but i'm 100% sure this suggestion will take them 2 years to implement. for now use bots, here you go > https://bots.discord.pw/bots/292953664492929025 < has timed mute and everything

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base