How can we improve Discord?

Timed mute

I'd like to see a feature added which allows server owns like myself to temporary ban, voice channel mute, and text-mute users.

This feature would be extremely helpful as currently all account bans, mutes, and text-mute are permanent affects which have to be manually edited which can become a huge hassle when trying to control over 3,000 other members at once.

Timed options:
* 5 minute,
* 10 minute,
* 30 minute,
* 1 hour,
* 1 day,
* custom timed ban.

790 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

HeadlessHorror shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • When Jason was at da table I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this woulld be a good feature, however it wouldn't work because discord doesn't even tell you when you're banned it's just like "o ops it expired" *nose extends*

• Fizzlepop Berrytwist commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Blargbot does this. No support from me. If you want a tempban, you kick them or mute them by way of a role you've created for this exact issue. If you don't want to ban-ban them, you just leave the mute on them and have a bot with stickyroles like Aradia.

• BeeBee1234567891 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I agree with this, even though using bots can help; there are generally many moderation bots that have a load of extra garbage that users may be able to use, that you don't want. So the only way would be to create your own bot... But not everyone on discord has the skills to do so, so this idea is a very good one as you would not need a bot to temp-ban or temp-mute a user. 100% support this!

• GasW0lf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would people stop suggesting bots? People who support this are very likely already aware that there are bots that can do this and would prefer that it be something integrated into discord. Temporary banning is very important in the world of gaming.
    I completely agree this should be a core feature.

• obbycloud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a server admin, I've gotta agree. I've had to make custom roles to gag people and keep timers far too many times, and something like this would be a blessing.

• Cap'n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bot Supporters You should not have to get a bot for your server just because you want to mute someone for a specific amount of time. Discord should have moderation tools such as timed muting or kicking users out of a channel as a core feature.

• Nutchapol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do it like the set text color on MS Word where clicking the button would result in a perm-mute/ban
    or the dropdown for more options (maybe come with preset time options but you can add/del/edit/rearrange them or even a list defined by the server and you can override those)

• HeadlessHorror commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Although I do agree with you on temporarily using a bot to do this I believe in the long run this should be a feature without a doubt, you shouldn't have to rely on a bot to ban a user for one day or however long you choose.

Feedback and Knowledge Base