How can we improve Discord?

Lifetime option for Discord Nitro

Hi Guys,

I thought that a lifetime option would be really cool.
However, I've already seen a few threads that contain the same, but I think that's really bad.

Discord is a really awesome program which now has some benefits, as you should not introduce a nitro rank is too expensive.
I mean 5 € are not much but there are more people who have less money than a lot.

Personally, I always wanted to get this rank, but I'm 5 € monthly or 50 € a year too expensive, because I would for example get more on Amazon Prime for.

That's why I've considered that you can get a lifetime rank apart from monthly payments.

My consideration would be the following:

19.99 € for 90 days
29.99 € for 180 days
54.99 € for 360 Day
99.99 € for Lifetime

Why are the prices so funny?
That's because the first 3 options are for people who want to support the discord monthly and do it with slightly lower sums.

Why should I pay 20 € for 3 months if I can pay 20 € for 4 months now?

This is simply because the lifetime ranking is much cheaper and therefore much more worthwhile.

Of course, there will be people who will find the stupid, but you have to see it that way, you pay a lot more than for a long time much more to that I can imagine that many more people will get Nitro, also determined Added so many features that make it more and more worthwhile to get Lifetime.

I hope that Discord is not just out of money, because that would completely ruin this idea.

Sorry for my bad english i just paste my german language into Google Translator.

Thanks for listening.

Sincerely, .Ay-yU

1,274 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

.leroy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

67 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 🌸Peachy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lifetime should not be implemented if we want discord to stay alive.
    Server costs are likely far far over 99.99 euros a week, and you want to have people pay this fraction of the upkeep for nitro for the rest of their lives?
    I'm sorry but it cant work like that.
    Get a job and $5 is small change.

• Liggliluff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lifetime is 2 years? Or Discord only needs you to pay for 2 years and don't need to have any more money from you?

• maχ★ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is way to good idea, i'll agree with this and this has to be setup.

• Rush commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd consider it at an even higher price, as it is right now I'd never subscribe to Nitro. I hate subscriptions and try to have as few of them in my life as possible.

• FuckingNIgs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oh god! No! Terrible idea! Without nitro Discord would not be able to survive and adding the life-time thing would be easier for people and then Discord would not make any money as there is a life-time version of nitro, so I would say no to that

• Aiden commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord Nitro should be a one time payment instead of a monthly subscription. To be honest I can't see many people paying for it at it's current price. I may be wrong though.

• Mozie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Their revenue stream would be hindered to say the least. Loads of monthly subs would just buy the lifetime and never have to pay another dime in their lifetimes. This is actually bad for discord in many ways and it really shouldn't be implemented.

• Taylowrk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one will choose the lower price options, and Discord will be earning less money than before. They aren't going to make it cheaper just because you can't afford it, there are people who can and that's their market. Sure, maybe some more people will get it, but if you can't afford $50 for a year now you won't be spending $100.

• xXBlaꜿkSoŭlXx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a simple reason why they do this, it is because of business. If you would add lifetime Nitro, you'll get much money in short time, because the average of the users like lifetime, but there's a catch. If you introduce lifetime, and everyone has it, you'll no longer get money, because it is lifetime and not temporary. No money means no Discord.

• 0Mr_X0 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A totally understand your idea, but lifetime is really bad. Don't just watch from the customer site, watch from the developer site. Discord is free, and servers and devs are not payed lifetime. They are payed monthly by merch and by nitro users. Change it to lifetime was against the idea, cause There would be more nitros (this is good) but they are just paing one time for two years (todays price) but have this forever. There would be a much smaler group, which supports discord regulary, and nitro would not longer be that special.

• Token Black commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently don't mind the prices of nitro, but thats up to Discord's future projections to set the price, as that and the investments are the only ways discord makes money to pay thier employees. but a lifetime option will most likely never happen. it's not realistic or logical to provide monthly subsription plans for something that has a lifetime option, in less than a year at your prices the lifetime would be less, it would be cheaper, forever to just save up a year and buy lifetime which in the long run won't keep a steady income for discord.

• LazyTiger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lifetime-subscription is a very great and wise idea to get some injection of capital (hope that's the right translation). But as the others said: This should be limited (in time and probably count) and used when it's really needed.

Discord's devs needs continuous earnings to pay for everything. You probably don't want Discord to be a free time project and you probably also don't want them to sell our data or slap a bunch of shitty, flashing ads into our face.

What I could agree with are one-time services. Like changing your tag for $3.

• Lunorian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The idea of Nitro is you provide Discord with financial support for the long term. Lifetime goes against what the idea of being a patreon.

• VM021026 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nitro is to support discord (lifetime is eventually bad for discord so I do not support this)

• skeleghosties commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dude, I'm gonna put it bluntly, you are being *extremely* cheap. How is paying for basically 2 years worth of Nitro good enough for a lifetime membership in your eyes? They need funds for domains, servers/equipment, programmers, other staff, somewhere to store their equipment and staff... Discord may be free, but that doesn't mean the staff should work for free and pay for expenses out of pocket.

If, and that's a big if, Discord were to have a lifetime membership, it would be a *lot* more expensive than that. A year of Nitro is $49.99 USD, so I can't see them going any lower than $499.99 (about 10 years), and I would quite honestly expect them to go with $999.99 at the very minimum.

In my experience, lifetime memberships for sites/servers are more of a limited edition thing anyway, to prevent everybody from buying lifetime memberships and then never having to pay again.

• Someperson22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Isn't the whole point of this "Nitro" system to support Discord if they add this they would be loosing revenue. Sure they would get a bunch of cash all at one time but nothing for the future and slower updates for the future because no cash to support people that work there. This would also cost people some jobs.

• Darion_Lunis (N.E.E.T. Life) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am sorry, but I do not agree that lifetime is a good idea.
    But... a discounted rate for paying for multiple months at one time sounds like good idea.

Unfortunately nothing in this world is free. Even if it is free for you (a non-nitro account). Discord costs money to continue operating. There is server upkeep, employee wages, electricity, internet connection, ect. to pay for. So paying for discord only once, means discord would eventually go out of business. Or discord would have to bow into corporate media and start showing ads or some other means of revenue.

• Mr.Midnight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wonder if having a one time payment per month would be better, rather than having to subscribe you can just throw a one time payment for said month.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base