How can we improve Discord?

Full markdown support

I want full markdown support. This includes Headers, quotes, and possibly all the fancy charts and stuff. It would allow for better messages. Not to mention, bots could do a lot more with markdown.

3,282 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ramiro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

148 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • myusadev commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If this suggestion gets accepted, It may be a huge pain in the ass for Discord, because of XSS.
    I don't want to get my account stolen just because I've viewed a DM (Direct Message.)
    so yeah
    stuff like that
    xss is pretty dangerous

• steel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea but it should be limited to the owner, admins, or any approved role. It'll be annoying to see people constantly using markdown. Also there should be a text color and probably highlight too, IMO.

• Kexi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to happen ASAP! The current formatting options are pretty lackluster. But we would also need the abiltiy to control the usage. e.g. enable it only in specific channels or roles.

• BoredPotato commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How this can be not top priority? Use programming language for change text color ? Wtf is this ? 2000? ????????????????????????????????
    Don't need full marksdown support tho... Few features might be enough

• On Swift Wings commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As well as remove incoming formatting as an option so I don't have to deal with reading a block of strikethrough text from people who abuse formatting and we'll be set.

• nsara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

make it so it is disabled by default but can be enabled for like welcome channels and I am all for this.

• Soaku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that headers could be controlled via a simple permission, "allow headers" for h3-h6 and/or "allow large headers" for h1-h2

• mechler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE! Let the headers start at h3 or something, and it'd be fine. Or let servers customize with a stylesheet or something so they can define how big h1 is.

• Grzesiek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but make it so that you can also add code in a markdown language, like html, so you can make your rules function like a website or something.

• Núkley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to choose text color for markdown, so you could have rainbow text or something. So you can make your chat stand out and not look bland.

• cycloptux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely something I'd use as a bot developer/owner. Even if only restricted to embeds (as some of the markdown is), that'd still be great. I've been looking for a way to build tables for a long time.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base