How can we improve Discord?

Full markdown support

I want full markdown support. This includes Headers, quotes, and possibly all the fancy charts and stuff. It would allow for better messages. Not to mention, bots could do a lot more with markdown.

1,708 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Ramiro shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

47 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Cheetah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some more markdown could be really nice, and I definitely agree that bots could use it.

• Dakyne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And let the server admin restrict some markdown tags (avoid fake links for example).

• Treadlight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hugely in need of this, especially given the horrible excuse for a decent specification is itself a page constructed using html that just screams:
    >haha fuck you I can make __colored headers__.
    The __entirety__ of the feature set of GFM is an absolute must, but clear specifications on how Discord parses text are also needed, especially with how it always garbles many unicode, non-graphic, and whitespace characters to oblivion, regardless of escaping them.

I've found that code blocks have forced word-wrap __and__ a horizontal scroll bar? What's the word-wrap for?

• Pop commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only that, but maybe be consistent with the markdown they currently have across all devices. Underlining with bold currently doesn't show up on apple devices

• EditFox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is something I've longed for. I use code blocks as quotes and some people ask why I do it. Spoiler tags would be godly as well.

• mcelligottnick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not having the ability to quote in a chat app is insane. Mentions actually look like quotes now, which is even more confusing.

• commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd definitely like to see proper quotes, something like Skype's format would be nice.

A proper /me would be great too

• Linkaito commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe add some markdown tags, but not all because this will be too much, there are many possibilites to have a great presentation with smileys, images, (...).

• gabe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe make this only available for people with manage messages/manage server or something, as it could easily be used to spam

• FrenchMasterSword commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an example, I was here to look for StackExchange's markdown for a bot. And also some markdowns aren't working, like the md one.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base