How can we improve Discord?

Dear Discord,

Out of the many service platforms that I have used for gaming and social media, I have never encountered one with an hour cooldown for avatar and name changes. Many services allow infinite changes, which I personally support. Even if, for some unlikely reason, you've determined that a limit is necessary, I ask that you change the time to something less ridiculous than an hour.
Many people change their avatar images because compared to other platforms like Steam, discords avatar image review system is mediocre at best. That, in combination with your outstandingly high cooldown, has pissed off many of your users, including myself.

1,421 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kasterborous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

129 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Spoopy.Kot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THE LIMIT IS THERE FOR SECURITY REASONS. API spammers could change their profile pictures at an insanely fast rate, which may cause Discord's other features to slow down. Even if they had the ability to disable ratelimits, it is not their interest to do so, as this could be a sign of Discord weakening to API spammers.(This is a oversimplified explanation, go search up "ratelimits").

• Hollymonster commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be significantly less annoying if there was a way to crop your icon image in-app, honestly. (also, maybe show the different sizes of thumbnail, instead of just the medium one? the one i'm trying to tweak right now was fine in the preview version, but is really hard to make out in chat mode. If I'd known that, I would have zoomed it in a bit more first! )

• HG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can preview avatars by clicking change image and NOT CLICKING THE APPLY BUTTON.

• banana the slug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%. If I’m testing out a new avatar but I don’t like it and I want to change I have to wait a whole hour? It’s bullcrap

• 💙BlueBear💙 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I mean, i dont wanna be harsh... but this is really ridiculous... i just wanna change my avatar back to my cute lil panda but now i gotta wait a whole hour?!? Ugh...

• Skywalker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yea it's pretty annoying considering it's never the same size before and after you click "save", it always zooms in a little bit. If it stayed the same size as it is after you change it and before you "save" it that would be perfect.

• PaulBags commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least you need to tell people this *before* they change their avatar. Sooo fucked off.

• bananamonday commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah honestly there's no reason to have a 'cooldown' for avatars, even with the preview it's hard to tell what an avatar will look like small and I have little finicky details in mine that sometimes show up fine in the larger preview but need more adjusting in the actual chat size!

• Spooky JakeDaMan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So im trying to change my avatar to a Halloween theme and Im trying to size it correctly so it fits but now i cant change it even though the size is correct now. Im stuck with it being the wrong size and i have no idea how long its going to be before i can change it again

• Shrimpy! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah i just got nitro and i uploaded a gif and it looked fine in the little preview. after i clicked save it went all buggy so i tried to upload another and i got the cool down... i can wait its just annoying.

• miranda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

first of all- you can preview the photo on a computer, the cooldown happens when you click “save” second of all- the cooldown is 10 minutes, not an hour..

• TallonXIV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is a work around. Go to Discord's online application (login on the webapp version of discord) and do it there.

• Nutchapol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

dude this is such a first world problem
    you change avatars every 10 minutes or something?

• Sparkinite commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord isn’t trash, it’s actually awesome, but this cool down could really be fixed...

• JitterbugJive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just got nitro and tried to change to an animated avatar and it previewed fine, but when I saved it, it went blank and didn't actually change my icon at all. Yet it STILL gives me the frikking cool down time?!!?! What is this garbage?!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base