How can we improve Discord?

Dear Discord,

Out of the many service platforms that I have used for gaming and social media, I have never encountered one with an hour cooldown for avatar and name changes. Many services allow infinite changes, which I personally support. Even if, for some unlikely reason, you've determined that a limit is necessary, I ask that you change the time to something less ridiculous than an hour.
Many people change their avatar images because compared to other platforms like Steam, discords avatar image review system is mediocre at best. That, in combination with your outstandingly high cooldown, has pissed off many of your users, including myself.

552 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Kasterborous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

55 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Addust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The piss bit triggered me, though ROBLOX has no limit and DISCORD NEEDS THAT FEATURE NOW! (although I am happy with my current avatar)

• Billy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably the most stupidest rule Ive ever encountered. What is the beef with changing your avatar more than twice. Given that theres no crop on discord you have to adjust and adjust which can take a lifetime with this platform with this cooldown BS

• iLoveMyLife commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too really want this icon change time to be removed or shortened because whenever I'm changing my icons I just want to see which looks cooler and this cooldown makes it so much more time consuming.

• Ark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What if someone made a bot that changed their name every half a second so that they could evade bans (Not talking about a server bot, obviously, talking about a script or something)?

• skelebrity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sooo... I’m on mobile all the time, and changing my icon’s kind of a process. There’s not really a lot of options I have for proper previewing; I just kind of have to crop, adjust, and pray everything’s centered the way I’m thinking it is, haha. If I’m adjusting things, or decide on a different icon after all halfway through because the original picture’s a little too awkward, it can get a little embarrassing getting stuck with something that isn’t, er... Focused on what I’m trying to focus on. (For example, trying to make my cute anime baes my icon and accidentally getting stuck suggesting towards their uhhh... assets lmaooo)
    Even beyond the practicality, in some group chats, part of the fun used to be admins smacking members with funny nicknames, and us responding by changing our icons either in compliance or defiance. Which is... a really specific way to goof off, but it was fun.
    I’d be more okay with the limit if I understood a little better why it was put in place, at least; Does it put stress on the servers? Did putting this icon- and name-freezing mechanic in place help keep Discord running smoothly? Is it for spam bots and the like? I’d just like to know.
    It’s probably the only thing about Discord so far that’s gotten on my nerves, which is pretty rad. Good app, confusing restriction.

• Emerald~ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really cant see why everyone is using the "crop" issue as a reason to remove the cooldown. I fully agree with the cooldown in place, there is NO reason why it needs to be removed. It's there to purely make sure Discord doesn't have to tolerate trolls who change their profile pictures every 5 minutes. That would mean Discord would need to have alot more resources in order to handle all the uploading. If you're having an issue with cropping, then open a photoshop program and crop the image to your liking, there's plenty of free photoshop programs out there.

• [GR]VexHexGD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can we fix this please???? i'm trying to get on blurple project and i tried to make it blurple on my own, but it didn't work and so i used the blurplefy command thing and try to change my avatar again, but it says the "you are changing your avatar too fast" thing. What the hell?

• NickPDX commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its not an hour? Its like 5 minutes. Why do you need to change your avatar so much?

• anon888855245665 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord fix your fucking shit god damn it. I cant change my profile picture! "you are changing your avatar too fast. Try again later." Are you fucking kidding me?!

• Nico123o commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry I am not feeling the idea. Very trifle and futile change to the interface.

You won’t be receiving my vote t’day. : (

• Nutchapol commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't use avatars with a lot of details, and the limit is 10 minutes for avatars

why would you want to change your name every hour, that makes no sense

• EatThatPie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is an annoying issues, but i'm not voting because Its annoying for other users who like to identify users by their profile picture. Why are you changing it within the hour, anyways...?

• Synergi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The timeout/limit system likely arose because image uploading/storage is intensive. Just because there are limits in place that you don't understand doesn't mean that there wasn't a reason they were put in place in the first place.

• RevenantOokami commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or add a preview that lets us see the thumbnail size please. I dont want to look like an idiot with a picture of someones chest cause i messed up on the Avatar and have to save and back out to resize.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base