How can we improve Discord?

Add support for ASIO driver protocol

The new feature for audio sharing was an amazing addition but Discord is also well known to be used by bigger teams and musicians. Musicians work with the driver protocol for Audio called ASIO. Created by Steinberg. This is an industry standard as it has very low latency and can make sure that people have no input lag when playing a guitar or keyboard through their digital audio workstation. Unfortunately Discord doesn't support ASIO drivers. This would be a very good improvment to make sure Discord can be used by musicians to a higher potential.

80 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Belus_ shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 🅱Ⓛ🅾ⓒḴ🅱⒰𝕤𝓣𝔼Ʀ🅱𝓹Ⓛ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be vary useful! I use ASIO as a routing system for my live streaming setup and would love to directly send audio from discord into my mixer. If this feature is implemented, I would love to be able to select my output channels in the settings, because discord is not the only software using ASIO on my PC.

• zorganzergalot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If they look into the type of technology jamkazam use, I think it would be very useful to the audio community, especially for collaboration between artists.

• 'eveng te atan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to have ASIO support, because I´m using soundcards from "sonic core" and the wave drivers are not supported for recording by Discord. I only can hear the output.
    ASIO would make it very easy to use Discord with these hardware.

Regards.

• longbyte1 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Discord developers don't have control over the audio stack - this request has to go upstream to Electron/CEF.

• shivamsingha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be really helpful! Bouncing out audio and sending it over and over again is a huge pain in the ass! Adding support for ASIO will be really helpful for collab works.
    It'll also be cool to use studio mics for gaming as many audio interfaces use asio drivers

• djliquidvoid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a godsend! I will often work on a commissioned song alongside the person commissioning me over live stream so that they can provide feedback and give me an idea of how they want it to sound without me having to send previews back and forth. This allows me to tailor a song to the commissioner's requirements much more easily, and being able to do this over a private Discord call instead of a live stream would be much more secure, easier to set up, and less taxing on my computer's resources. This is just one very specific use case - there are many others, and adding a feature like this would not only massively benefit musicians, but would also be helpful for game streaming (as azathot said), which is an important point, considering gaming is Discord's primary focus.

• azathot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

100% support this. Consider the standard use case, one that is also relevant for game streaming - a high quality microphone and compressor without the need for an external mixer. In my case, I'm using UAD equipment and although there are WDM drivers, those drivers do not allow the selection of an input as a microphone (limitation of WDM). This seems like a no brainer. Please add this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base