How can we improve Discord?

Allow @mentions to be used only by specific roles

Right now custom roles can either be mentioned by everyone in the server, or no one at all. Having a setting to give a specific role ping access would be amazing for every discord server that uses custom roles.

Instead of having
"Allow anyone to @mention this role"
we could have
"Allow <select role> to @mention this role"

This can work similar to how @here and @everyone do: If the user doesn't have access to ping @role, then a notification won't be sent and that message won't be highlighted.

This is a feature highly wanted by every Role Based Discord since it adds a new layer of protection against bot spamming and raiding.
There is nothing that stops trolls from pinging 1000+ members in large servers beside a ban - but then they can make another account and do the same thing again.

Please consider implementing this feature.

2,390 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nightswifty shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

54 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Eliza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why is this not already a thing? This is crucial option for huge or even medium sized discords which need great amount of permission modification.

• Mogami_Karasu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed, just had 2 trolls near consecutively drop in in a server I'm in and repeatedly spam all the roles they could until a mod banned them. These roles are peer support roles so turning off pingability is a problem.

• Moves_Like_Jagger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I saw a post on this on the website that was created over a year ago and it has almost 3,000 votes yet it was still not added: Can we get a thing on here so on our servers we can __allow only admins/moderators to mention certain roles__? The post is titled what I underlined. There also was another one with 2,100 votes titled __allow ``@mentions`` to be used only by specific roles__. I have also been told there is another with 18k votes but I can neither confirm or deny this. All these examples show people actually want this so actually do something about this developers. It is a pressing matter that can lead to raids and you need to stop this now. Not later. Sorry if I sound passive-aggressive, it's just I am very impressed with discord RN for multiple reasons.

• LennardF1989 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this. I manage a Discord-server for my faculty and we have lots and lots of roles, but I only want to allow Administrators and Teachers to be able to mention them for notifications.

As an admin, I can get away with trickery using a bot and quickly toggling the mention permission on certain roles, but my co-workers can't.

• LowOrbitLeo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Best way to go about it in my mind would be to replace "Allow anyone to mention" with the opposite of "Only allow certain roles to mention".
    Then, for roles that are currently mentionable it can be set off.
    For others that are currently not mentionable it can be set on without any roles selected.

I've made an example of how I envision this would look: https://imgur.com/Kw9tDWA

• CloudTheWolf commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is defiantly something that is needed.
    Maybe 3 options?
    1 - Allow anyone to @mention this role
    2 - Allow specified users/roles to @mention this role
    (Triggers a field that will let you enter roles and specific users to to mention)
    3 - Disable @mention of this role

• UltraHartford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow certain roles to mention other roles, this would be good as like a admin in announcements could do @giveaways

• McDonaldTrump commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would really help for staff who want to ping a role like "@ping-for-updates" or want to ping coloured roles or punished roles. Of course this might get complicated so to prevent that, just add below the "Allow anyone to mention this role", and also allow this to be an option for channel perms so we can have channel specific pingable roles (such as pinging in announcements-and-updates is fine but not in general-chat). Also, let those with the administrator permission ping whatever role they want.

• DoomZero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The primary problem with this idea is that it's not a binary toggle, which means it would be waaay more complicated than the existing permissions.

**The solution that would satisfy me is a setting that says "allow this role to be pinged by those who have the ability to ping everyone".** This would cover nearly every situation that people want but it's way simpler. If you can trust a role to not abuse the power to ping everyone, you can surely trust it to not ping specific roles either.

• Cyber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a member of the Warframe server (which has roles for in-game events, resources, etc.) I think I speak for all of us when I say: Yes, we want this.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base