How can we improve Discord?

Allow @mentions to be used only by specific roles

Right now custom roles can either be mentioned by everyone in the server, or no one at all. Having a setting to give a specific role ping access would be amazing for every discord server that uses custom roles.

Instead of having
"Allow anyone to @mention this role"
we could have
"Allow <select role> to @mention this role"

This can work similar to how @here and @everyone do: If the user doesn't have access to ping @role, then a notification won't be sent and that message won't be highlighted.

This is a feature highly wanted by every Role Based Discord since it adds a new layer of protection against bot spamming and raiding.
There is nothing that stops trolls from pinging 1000+ members in large servers beside a ban - but then they can make another account and do the same thing again.

Please consider implementing this feature.

837 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Nightswifty shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

17 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alviann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with this, I need this for my discord server since some people with a specific roles doesn't want to be mentioned.

• Nalgust commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would make for a tremendous improvement. Having to simply watch the work done by people moderating large discords preventing wrong / troll pings is quite sad already, let alone try to moderate it.

• Narmdo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! Right now we have a bot which allows (only admins) to toggle allowing @ for some roles. This means we have to toggle it on, do our message, then toggle it off again to ensure no one else uses it.

Not only is this a huge pain, it has the potential to go drastically wrong, forgetting to disable it again, or other people using it in the time it's enabled.

• Tink commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely, this is a great idea. We need this especially on major discords with massive role systems.

• ellarree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be amazing to have as a feature. Please, Discord team, at least try and implement selective role mentioning.

• Wordblood commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, please. I've seen many servers with some sort of opt-in notification role, but that requires adjusting the settings twice per announcement to minimize the window for abusive pings, and that window always exists. It would be convenient *and* close the loophole if we could set @notifyme to only be mentionable by @mods (and presumably admins without that role, if we had any...although that should only apply to roles mentionable by *some* role).

• Chkoupinator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't second this enough, having roles that are mentionable on a large discord server is just such a pain, most people just make a bot that makes the role mentionable back and forth but there are some roles which have to stay mentionable to be usable by normal users that are also often spammed on raids and such
    All of this is just a huge pain to deal with and I'm pretty sure that adding a check every time someone tries to @ mention a role would add a lot of calculations but uh what can I say? pretty please? I'm sure the Discord team can make it work :3

• Ankial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be a good idea, i made the exact same suggestion like 5 minutes ago

• Oniakon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a bot that pings the @Subscribed role when we release new content on our blog and this would be incredibly beneficial to stop trolls.

• Mordotz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be very beneficial to reduce spam and in general let servers be more organised. People with certain roles, having the ability to tag one/several roles, that won't be mentionable by people with a different role has no real downside to it.
    - Also having channel specific mention permissions would be a cool addition.
    For example ... In a channel named X, people with Y role are able to mention Z role(s), While the same person with Y role, that was able to mention Z roles in the channel X, would NOT be able to mention Z role in another channel we can call V for this example

• Sas148 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At present, it's tedious to have to turn off a 'Mention this role' option for each role so that an authorized person can ping those individuals and then go back in to turn it off. This would be a much appreciated addition.

Feedback and Knowledge Base