How can we improve Discord?

Dyslexic and Visually Impaired Accessibility

Add options for custom fonts, colors, sizes, etc. for those who need easier visual access. I am dyslexic and cannot use the desktop app because of the font style. The most I can do is zoom in on my system to make the entire application bigger, but that doesn't help much at all. I would also like to add a colorblind mode to make the app more accessible to those who are colorblind (this especially is an issue with the online status bubbles), as well as a custom background color option. I have several friends who need to use the dark theme for eye strain reasons, and several friends who need to use the light theme because they have some form of blindness and need that higher contrast. Making a custom background color, like the member role custom color options, would be perfect for people who need a kind of grey that is in the middle, or for colorblind people who need a different color all together.

8,365 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

instalocks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

569 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Sphinx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Adding another voice to +1 being allowed to control size/font options within the mobile app! Having it forced to scale to system size is not a good idea.

• johnnyBizzel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like I can change the settings on my tablet to increase the font size but still would be good to have in app options.

• meatchunk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add support for setting custom colours and font sizes. Not to be rude but I don't get why so many applications today don't allow UI elements to be changed and instead rely on static, hard coded UI elements. I'm mostly OK when gaming but for reading text I need to customize my font and colour choices.

• Joe B. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please do as it's hard for me to see the small fonts on the mobile app (Nova Launcher Server). Thank you.

• Keybounce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here is a style sheet I use for the browser discord for *exactly this reason* -- dislexic, etc.

#1: Generic font-size/font family support, to make most pages use my font setting:
    https://gist.github.com/keybounce/389c166736cc1d85f2012b1b486f1676

#2. Discord specific tweak:
    https://gist.github.com/keybounce/ec0424b7b9be7016aa86135ee8b3a333

For the embedded app, command-alt-I brings up the inspector, and I can manually alter the CSS. Each. And. Every. Time. It. Resets.

• Shayboy OG commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES
    Because I added fonts by some random websites and if you are on a device besides laptop or computer all that comes up is X's

• loli princess commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely. something I would love. changing my system font (Samsung Galaxy S8) to even the largest setting barely affects the Discord text. Being able to adjust the font size would greatly improved my experience as I wouldn't have to zoom in all the time. I prefer Discord as a messaging app because of the dark mode but my visual impairment requires I use large text when reading. Really hope this happens sometime in the near future!

• Amyashi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see an option to increase the font size on the iOS app. I am visually impaired and this feature would make the app a lot easier to use.

• RawPancakes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love a custom background colour option!

also if you could let ppl change the font and have a few options (like OpenDyslexic)

Also thanks for finally adding spellcheck!

• DarkQueenofthenight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is for ppl who dont knwo about it >>
    What is Dyslexia? Reading is complex. It requires our brains to connect letters to sounds, put those sounds in the right order, and pull the words together into sentences and paragraphs we can read and comprehend.
    People with dyslexia have trouble matching the letters they see on the page with the sounds those letters and combinations of letters make. And when they have trouble with that step, all the other steps are harder. Dyslexic children and adults struggle to read fluently, spell words correctly and learn a second language, among other challenges. But these difficulties have no connection to their overall intelligence. http://dyslexia.yale.edu/dyslexia/what-is-dyslexia/

• DarkQueenofthenight commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this will be good czuse I am Dyslexic
    seance the day I was born my typing sucks & so does my speling alot of NORMAL ppl dont understand it but meh seams I don't matter thus the song "I WALK ALONE" :-/ WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM IMPLMENT Grammarly Checkers in discord

• AudiGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Addendum: The font is called “Dyslexie” (the dutch name for Dislexia)

There’s a similar open-source (free to implement, even business use) version, called OpenDyslexic, findable at https://www.opendyslexic.org/

I encourage Discord to implement this as an accessibility option.

• AudiGuy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The University of Twente, The Netherlands developed a font for dyslectics. It’s a font that has weight at certain points in the letters, which tricks the brain into making it more easily readable. Works very well for dyslectics, I’ve been told by multiple (severely) dyslectic friends.

• Lou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello!

I think it is a good idea. It could improve the accessibility of Discord!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 28 29

Feedback and Knowledge Base