How can we improve Discord?

Dyslexic and Visually Impaired Accessibility

Add options for custom fonts, colors, sizes, etc. for those who need easier visual access. I am dyslexic and cannot use the desktop app because of the font style. The most I can do is zoom in on my system to make the entire application bigger, but that doesn't help much at all. I would also like to add a colorblind mode to make the app more accessible to those who are colorblind (this especially is an issue with the online status bubbles), as well as a custom background color option. I have several friends who need to use the dark theme for eye strain reasons, and several friends who need to use the light theme because they have some form of blindness and need that higher contrast. Making a custom background color, like the member role custom color options, would be perfect for people who need a kind of grey that is in the middle, or for colorblind people who need a different color all together.

5,707 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

instalocks shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

474 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • no🔪 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i have autism and usually some fonts are very hard to read/concentrate on so this is a great idea

• engel_pika commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

good idear,
    @Discord Team, your plugin and Desktop app do not meet the contrast minimums:
    here the result of an test with your Widget [I can't find a option to send it as a .txt file or as an picture; so here the result as text], ping me if you want to know more about this:
    Foreground:#FFFFFF
    Background:#7289DA
    The contrast ratio is: 3,3:1
    Text failed at Level AA
    Text failed at Level AAA
    Large text passed at Level AA
    Large text failed at Level AAA

OR in the Desktop App for Windows: (white mode)
    Foreground:#7393BB
    Background:#FFFFFF

The contrast ratio is: 3,2:1

Text failed at Level AA
    Text failed at Level AAA
    Large text failed at Level AAA

and here in dark mode [better result]:
    Foreground:#C0B4AA
    Background:#36393E

The contrast ratio is: 5,7:1

Text passed at Level AA
    Text failed at Level AAA
    Large text passed at Level AAA

Your App is passing the tests with a bad result.
    I have NOT something like color blindness or something else, but I can't use the white mode of Discord because I can't read anything there! [thanks for darkmode, thanks a mode where I can read something]
    Now I could send you more tests, but I think you can test it by yourself @DiscordTeam. You can also aks me and I will give you Test results as pictures and/or with a color blindness simulation.
    Please improve the contrasts.

[A good/acceptable contrast ratio is for example 10 or higher [21 is max].3/4 is under the minimum for the contrast ratio.

• Rattie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

even though I may not have specific issues that need accessibility, I know of people who may need these and this sounds like an amazing idea! (also I use the dark theme bc aesthetic and the white is way too bright for my aging eyes [aka I'm only 19 but my eyes are kinda bad with really bright whites])

• OurLadyOfGarbage commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dyslexia runs in my family, so while I don't struggle with it I've seen the struggle and how people struggle & feel stupid over something that isn't their fault. Super for this!

• purplepandowdy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This sounds like a fantastic idea! I'm always all for things being easier to read, even if I don't necessarily need it myself.

• Zezmeril commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm all for this. Sometimes it's hard for me to read longer posts, and this would help alleviate that nicely.

• dronex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Temporary fix may be with the community made "BetterDiscord", google it, it's awesome.

• Disa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an excellent idea!! Discord is really good and it'd be great for more people to be able to use it <3

• Pep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm all for improving accessibility in general, and OP's suggestions sound both concrete and potentially useful for a lot of people. I hope that Discord's staff are open to listening to feedback from people who would benefit from accessibility improvements, because that's the best way to learn what features need to be added or changed.

• jazzo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is a great idea id love to be able to actually read shit easily

• Spoots commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be a great idea as well, and getting any updates on the staff if/when this begins to be worked on would be wonderful as well so people will have the knowledge that these problems are being taken care of!

• Cendree commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any accessibility features we can add to this app would be a good thing - the more of our friends we can chat with the better! This would help people and perhaps make the app available for those who couldn't use it, so I'm for it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24

Feedback and Knowledge Base