How can we improve Discord?

Spotify Mic Detecting

A common thing that I do while in voice calls with my gamer friends is tune my Spotify in the background for a bit of battle music. So I was specifically excited by the Spotify integration. But Annoyingly enough Spotify paused every 30 seconds I spoke.

My recommendation is a toggle switch is added for when Spotify can detect your mic, that way you can have spotify linked but not interfering with Voice Calls and Vice Versa.

141 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Defective shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminDabbit Prime (Admin, Discord) responded  · 

We can’t do this because the microphone stopping playback is a requirement that Spotify gave us to allow the integration in the first place. If you’d like this to change you have to petition them.

31 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Jishin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto-pausing Spotify is one of the worst implementations. Some mics aren't high quality enough and pick up ambient noise to the point where increasing the pickup volume doesn't help. I expect many users will unlink their spotify connections because of this issue.

• Me trel a commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 to Rocket, apart of the agreement, and I can understand why because then people could self-bot or create a bot to stream Spotifys audio, which is a big no-no.

• Rocket Raccoon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is part of the Spotify integration agreement, Discord can't change it. We'd all have to petition / suggest this on Spotifys end unfortunately.

• Parvixal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please please please PLEASE add it in so that you can not have spotify auto-pause when you have your mic active!

• Tensees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to deactivate Spotify integration because of that. I constantly have music playing in background when I use my headset, so I'm definitely the only one to hear my music. Still, Discord pauses Spotify constantly.
    I understand this had to be made like that because in compliance of laws about copyright I assume, but there's got to be a better way to do this... This is so incredibly fucking annoying.

• Robcicle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe that the spotify auto-pause should be a feature that can be disabled as I have had many occasions where I am playing music, and then because I also like to talk for long periods, and then it just cuts and I will continously unpause, it is quite annoying and I wish there was the ability to disabled this feature

• Beans~ 🐾 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There are much better ways this system could've been implemented. Bump it up to a minute timer, otherwise the music is being paused far too frequently when I'm not doing what this "solution" was implemented to prevent.

I have a potential solution, how about Discord uses that Spotify integration to its full extent and implements a shazam sort of system that scans the mic input for audio, and cross compares it to the song being played by the user in Spotify. If the songs match, then block the audio. I am certain that is possible, but instead the devs are being lazy (Or Spotify is being incredibly stupid about it) and are opting to simply blanket cover 30s of mic activation as OBVIOUSLY playing Spotify music over the mic, and not simply a discussion happening.

This is getting quite annoying and is happening VERY frequently, 30s is way too short of a timer.

• tilda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This happens because Discord needs to comply with Spotify's ToS.

• Irregulars commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was away from my desktop while listening to Spotify on my phone through bluetooth earbuds, it kept pausing on my phone even though I was nowhere near my computer. I had no idea what was happening until i got back to my computer and saw the warning. At least send my phone a notification if somehow my computer mic picks up something while I'm afk.
    This also is really counter-intuitive when I want to tell a friend on a channel/group call about what I'm listening to on Spotify, but it pauses for the both of us because we were talking to each other.

• piekid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You guys think this is a "feature"? This is clearly in place for copyright issues. It's not going to get a toggle.

• Kamzen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to turn the 30 second transmitting pause off! I LOVE the spotify integration, but have to disable it because this feature is way too damn frustrating to me.

• heil me!!!! commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So I have to talk every 30 sec even if I'm not talking to anyone?
    I don't think that was a good idea to make that option.... At least make it 2-5 min or something like that...
    Hope I'll see a change

• Shubidubapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

May be instead of just stopping the music after 30secs, you could check the voice (locally if possible) if it is a music that mic is playing then just pause it. But yes I can see it being annoying when a long conversation is taking place at the same time..

• FreshManatea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

tl'dr: please remove the 30 second of mic audio causing Spotify to pause, it's annoying and ends up defeating the purpose of the integration.
    Apparently there's some kind of copyright with the 30 seconds of audio causing Spotify to pause, but honestly it makes using the new Spotify integration unusable. If you play a MOBA and steadily shotcall or if you're just telling a story, your music stops awkwardly every 30 seconds. When listening with friends, this throws off the playlist and gives you both different songs next, defeating the purpose of the integration. I assume it was added because Spotify argued that people would share music over mics.... or something? I honestly don't get the logic behind that, because people could do that anyway before the integration, though I don't see how they'd possibly want to.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base