How can we improve Discord?

Bring back our selfbots!

Hi discordians. We get why you wanted selfbots gone, but we miss the utility of them, and bots often don't suffice. So here is my suggestion.

Option one: Bring back selfbots, but only for nitro users. This way you can combat everyone and their brother using a selfbot OR if everyone does use one, you make some money from it.

Option two (my favorite): Bring back selfbots, but with a dedicated selfbot api. Let it have higher ratelimits than regular accounts to combat spammers. Along with this, you could even possibly add a selfbot setting in the server settings, disallowing it for servers who don't want it.

While I get that some may have been used for the powers of evil, most people just found them fun to play with, and very useful! We miss our selfbots, discord!

492 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Melmsie shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

161 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Perksey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not just expand the bot API rather than going against their own T&Cs (doing so will need the T&Cs to be iterated upon)

• Lord Mathias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay I'm just going to put my two cent into this,

I have had many, many issues as a server owner with self-botters. It's not "Embeds" or things like that, I don't care that much if people used self-bots to do useful things.

Before I get onto the list of many problems I've had, I would like to make a point that Discord is an online messaging platform, with a bot API to allow server admins to add some customizability to their server, because of this "self-bots" were created as they can be accessed with a token and an API wrapper the same way as bots, which was never intended.

Now, here's the major issue I have with self-botters. Spam, lots of it. No I'm not talking about channels being flooded with pointless annoying stuff, I'm talking about the people who utilise self-bots to send unsolicited DM advertisements to everyone in the server, self-bots make this really easy to do, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

Problem with both Option 1 and Option 2 is the fact that there is no way of telling if a user is a normal user or a self-bot. Why? Because of the way the API works. Whether you're messaging a channel through the normal client, or through a self-bot, the message still passes through the API and it has no way of telling where it came from. So no we can't prevent self-bots joining servers, and we can't limit it to Nitro only, at least, not without any major API overhauls.

People can flood and spam channels without needing to use a self-bot, it's the other issues like DM spam that people get from them that cause me the most issues, and therefore I am against the idea of lifting the ToS restriction on self-bots.

• The Greatest Hero commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey, for you people against it, critisism is as weightful as a paper mache bombshelter. and as useful. do us a favor and just dont

• Warlauke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"Option one: Bring back selfbots, but only for nitro users. This way you can combat everyone and their brother using a selfbot OR if everyone does use one, you make some money from it."

It wouldn't make people get nitro just for selfbots since you'd still be able to use ones from github for free. IE: Why would you pay to use something that you could use without paying any money.
    The other issue I feel would happen with selfbots is so much would get added to selfbots that Discord bots would end up useless since everyone would be able to do just about everything that Discord bots could do.

• Grant Gryczan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These options would literally not work, as the Discord API is the same API used directly in the Discord app itself. To use a separate API specifically for individual client use outside of the app would be impractical. If they could enforce that then they would just disable the bot API for non-bot users, except that the bot API is the same one as the one used in the app. The same would apply to restricting API use only to Nitro users. I will upvote this idea though, for the logic that it should just be allowed in general, and users who abuse it should be banned individually. That they currently disallow self-bots is pointless because abusers of it can still continue to abuse with the same potential punishment, in addition to that everyone not abusing it is punished the same way. It makes no sense.

• TheGreatChristian34 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I agree that selfbot should be allowed again! The only reason why it was removed is because of those trollers that abuse the selfbot. If it happens, then they can be banned from discord. Selfbots should be allowed again. I agree with you melmisie

Option 2 btw

• Vysion commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We have to first consider that if option 1 goes into play, a small fraction of users have Nitro, and there's probably an even smaller chance that of that fraction an even smaller amount actually understand the Discord.js library and make proficient bots.

Option 2 sounds more reasonable, since now servers have an option to disallow selfbots. Possibly, the Discord API will keep a closer eye on users with selfbots since things can get out of hand in the blink of an eye.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base