How can we improve Discord?

Timed mutes

Should be able to mute users direct messaging me. And it would be nice if I could do it for a period of time ie 30mins, 3hours, until 6pm etc. Facebook's Messenger application already has this feature so you can look at that as an example of how this has been implemented else where.

1,831 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

print(errors); shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

62 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • electro ⚡ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do Not Disturb mode might be an easier (and better) implementation.

Only muting specific people seems more of an "ignore" function, but a Do Not Disturb is highly needed for the same reasoning in this suggestion.

• Axinity commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think that this is a great idea, but you can just block, or unfriend the person for 30 minutes.

• ✧✨⚝𝕊𝕙𝕖𝕚𝔽𝕠𝕩𝕪⚝✨✧ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to be able to set a time to mute, like with DND on a phone how you can say "Do not Disturb until 8am".
    I hate to mute a channel then forget to unmute it.
    A DND mode like that would be so useful.

Should be able to do it on server level, as well as ALL OF DISCORD.

• LawGnome commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd really like to see this. I moderate a couple servers and will occasionally find someone being disruptive but not ban-worthy. It'd be nice to let them have read-only access to the server temporarily either for a set time or until they speak with a mod or admin.

• Ren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow us to temporarily mute a server for X minutes/hours. This is a feature I often use in the WhatsApp messenger.

Sometimes servers are particularily active caused by an event you are not interested in. But that is only temporarily.
    Or you are playing with friends but don't want to be bothered at the moment. Though if there are important pings (from other mroe important servers) coming in you still want to be notified.

• Dream Weaver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Could you tell me why it says TRAP in purple next to my username when I talk to people on this channel?

• angryhippielady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yeah just needed today I mean my server is pretty chill for the most part but still it would be a nice feature

• Foxy Lady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if I could put someone on timeout instead of blocking or unfriending them. Sometimes you just need to not talk to someone for a while, and blocking is overkill

• Cliffton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One of the servers I moderate actually uses a restrict role in which prevents the user from accessing anything except a timeout text channel. This allows them to speak with an admin or mod privately about the situation before deciding if they will eventually behave or should be banned. While this is a good solution, I second that it would be nice to have a feature that with just a push of a button would place the member in this timeout.

• Lukutakina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I though on this idea and I want to like, ban someone in a specific time. Like, 3 hours or 7 days or 1 minute. Something like that, it would be very necessary.

• Lark Shark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Similar to Twitch, a timeout system or command would be useful. If needed, a mod or admin could timeout a user from posting messages for a certain amount of time

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base