How can we improve Discord?

Support Playing Linux Games from the Store

https://twitter.com/discordapp/status/1027688655681478656

You said that playing games from the new Discord store isn't planned. It should be.

442 votes
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Fritzy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

41 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • 【|<>|】 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't see why Linux should be treated differently from Windows and macOS. This should happen.

• Charles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please support Linux. I really love the Discord platform, but unfortunately, it looks like I will have to keep using Steam instead to purchase my games unless Discord supports Linux. I don't expect that much extra engineering effort needed on your end to support it either given that you already use the cross-platform Electron framework, so Linux support is pretty much already a freebie with one extra line in your build script.

• AcidMonkey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, Please, Please.... you have been so great at supporting Linux to this point don't drop the ball now. with windows potentially moving to a paid desktop service you surely can see the potential for people to migrate from windows.. be ahead of the game support Linux and the Linux community will support you...

• tuxutku commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My windows friends really depend on me , i can simply say them to buy on steam

• birdmanofbombay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Steam is a much larger and more established vendor than you and they support Linux. I doubt I'd even consider buying games from Discord unless you support Linux too, especially considering you do offer Discord on linux already. I'd rather keep buying them from Steam.

• Grim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Don't forget that often Linux compatibility decides what Windows users play as a group.

Many of my Windows friends have bought Linux compatible games on my recommendation or to play multiplayer with me. Those windows sales would not have happened without Linux compatibility

• Halfpac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Everybody cared when Net neutrality was a hot topic. How would Discord feel if all the ISP's throttled the speed to your service? I bet you would know exactly how this feels then.
    By not supporting Operative system neutrality like you do Net neutrality, you take away that choice from millions of people. If all the tech companies started changing their values towards the user experience and not their bank account (which is already more than full), then millions of people would switch to Linux from Windows as a political statement. It's about what kind of world do you want the next generation to grow up in? a Microsoft/Apple/Google dictatorship? Or a free, open source democracy like Linux. It's your responsibility (the developers) to make that decision it begins with you, not the Linux community.

• Comrade Curio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

with the group of individuals who use linux growing and with the upcoming linux application support from ChromeOS it seems like not supporting linux is going to be a huge missed opportunity

• Tazial commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reporting in as a Linux/Discord user. I'm not gonna say I'm going to stop using Discord if the store doesn't support Linux, nor am I qualified to make a confident statement on whether this is going to be a financial loss for you guys, but what I can say is this: I know I and many others felt like Discord was better than Skype and Teamspeak because you guys really cared about and knew your users. Linux users often get the shaft when it comes to big companies supporting them as a platform, and so it would be no surprise if you guys went their way. However, I would respect Discord as a company a lot more if I knew that they were willing to take the extra step to make sure their users feel more valued than their profits.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base