Server Roles Page Makeover
Hiya! Recently I was inspired to take what Discord's current server roles page looks like and give it a huge revamp, changing & adding quite a few things to help management in the roles feel cleaner and more organized. In redesigning this page to fit how I would enjoy seeing it, I created a list of the things that have been changed in the concept image below:
- Hovering over & selecting roles now has an animation, making the focused role larger while all the others are packed neatly together.
- All roles marked "Administrator" now have a special icon next to them in the list as a reminder, much like ones that are locked (Perhaps this could work with "managed" roles that bots are automatically assigned with as well).
- Added exclusive Roles page "dividers" to better help organize server roles. I know, you'll barely ever look at the Roles page, but it's still nicer than clustering all the roles together, or having to create ones that *look* like dividers. The dividers will act as categories, and can be collapsed along with the roles under it. The help message below the roles was also tweaked a bit.
- Added a single button to create & search for both roles and dividers. Typing in a name will either let you 1.) Select a role or divider that fits said name, or 2.) Create a new role or divider if the name does not already fit one (You can still create roles & dividers that have the same names as others).
- Spruced up the Role Name & Color section:
1. You can now select colors from a plethora of different modes, much like photo-editing softwares such as Photoshop offer. (To reset back to the original blank color, you can either select pure black or erase the hex code in its designated box).
2. You can add a description of up to 256 characters to a role. When @pinging a role in Discord, you can hover over the text as it highlights, but nothing happens. Adding a description to the role would instead show there, potentially along with a higher-detail name & color.
3. Put the Administrator and Delete Role options right at the top with the basic role settings, as they are quite important compared to the others. The Administrator option was also tweaked to show how risky it is.
- Lastly but not least, I took all the role permissions and organized them into their own categories, all of which are also collapsible (if you REALLY need to). Here's what they have:
1. "Display role separately from others" and "Allow anyone to @ping role" options are kept at the top, being that they are two of the most significant permissions out of the rest.
2. MANAGEMENT - All permissions tagged with "Managing" have been put into this category, as well as the "View Audit Log" option as well.
3. MODERATION - These are lesser roles compared to Management, but they fit more along the lines of casual moderation of a server. The "Mention @everyone and @here" and "Priority Speaker" options were placed in here as well.
4. GENERAL - The last of the categories contains all of the basic, less-important permissions that usually nobody touches, unless to have a punishment role. "Read & See Text & Voice Channels" was put on top.
5. All three named categories have options to switch on or off all of the permissions in it at the top, along with an "(All of the below)" message to help users know what it does.
6. Almost all of the permissions that didn't have them were given descriptions, as well as the changing of some existing descriptions. The only permissions that don't have them are clear enough in their titles.
That is everything that has been changed in this concept image. It would be great to see some / all of the things I made included in Discord, as it would help greatly in organization and cleanliness. Thanks for reading, and if you have any criticism / suggestions, I'm open to hearing it!
Swap out the picker for the original swatches, I would like to keep the colors simple (with an option to use the picker)
other than that wow that's a nice mockup
I would enjoy this concept very much. Upvoted.
I would only change or add ONE thing. For the colour selection, I would prefer a swatches display. I have a very difficult time using this rainbow color picker. Even in my graphics programs the first thing I change is the display as swatches.
This is an arthritis hand-mobility-control issue.
This would make my life a lot easier right now as I'm making new servers from scratch. I think people with OCD would benefit a lot from this. I'm constantly double-checking to make sure I didn't glance over a permission. Grouping these into categories would help.
Kurisu Kurosu commented
Please add this. It's awesome.
This is awesome! Users should also be able to copy the Role ID when they have Developer Mode enabled. Currently, only a bot can access a role ID.
Really great work, nicely done! Only thing to add would be a breakdown of role management (creation/editing) and the ability to assign roles. The fact those are currently grouped together is an odd and not great permission choice.
>> janlout << commented
This would be amazing!!! Please implement this Discord!!!
This looks really good, nice job! My one suggestion is an extension to you catagories. If you could have roles that could control other roles in their catagory. For example you have two groups of people on your server, game 1 and game 2. You would like to give a mod powers to award roles for game 1 but not powers for game 2. So role catagories with their own roles would be great.
Servers with a lot of roles would greatly benefit from this!
Magikste (kuuja) commented
Love love love it! This would be a wonderful implementation, and I'm digging that sweet proof of concept.
Adde r2 commented
THIS. THIS? THIS!!!!
I made a concept related to this, see https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/9apb6q/discord_role_groups_concept/
This looks really cool man, good work on this!
Really love the idea and is amazing. Would also love this to be implemented but I think you should add a little icon next to the roles which integrated. Just reread it and noticed you said about that. Would definitely like that as I am a small screen person (Surface Pro 4) and would help me a lot. Hope Discord do something like this.
Lyric 🌹 commented
Your concept looks incredible. I would truly love to see this implemented into Discord. I agree with those who say it wouldn't be a simple and easy task but that doesn't mean it's not possible. In my opinion, the current interface for roles is outdated compared to other UI elements in Discord. It seems to have had the least amount of tinkering versus the rest of the UI. It works, and that's all that we really need. Like I said earlier, I'd love to see this concept / idea replicated or improved upon directly into Discord. However, it wouldn't be priority, at least for the next couple of months, which makes me kind of sad but the current things they're working on such as the Discord Store is exciting too. Awesome idea, I hope something close to this replaces the current UI in the future.
This is truely amazing. Definitely want this to come to Discord!
i really want discord to become more user friendly with more ease of assess features. this would be great
@! craftxbox Thank you for your explanation, but I never meant to imply that it would be an easy task, if it were to be implemented! I stated in the first paragraph that I designed it to fit how *I* would like to see it, and it is simply a concept design that could likely change if Discord Staff ever were to consider it. By "you have not provided anything but a concept image and ideas", I would have to disagree, as there isn't much else I'd be able to provide (especially on this site), as I do not know coding and I wouldn't risk getting banned from Discord through adjusting how their base program functions.
! craftxbox commented
You made a concept, and gave ideas, but you never said how difficult it was for you to design your concept, which, judging by the length of you post is very likely not trivial at all, not to mention that discord isnt just a front end ui and that they would need to connect it to the backend after all was said and done, this wont be something easy for discord to quickly pop in place, the current roles ui is already good enough and doesnt have any glaring issues (personal opinion) and you have not provided anything but a concept image and ideas.